Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sylcol
(member) Thu 03-May-12 17:09:09
Print Post

Modem or Modem/Router

[link to this post]

Trying to get the best out my connection and notice some good reviews on routers that require a separate modem.

Is there any advantage in this set up as opposed to the more usual modem/router combo.

I don't see any reviews for stand alone modems despite the good reviews for some routers that require them.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-May-12 17:37:03
Print Post

Re: Modem or Modem/Router

[re: Sylcol] [link to this post]

Separate modems and routers can be a real pita to configure, as I know to my cost with my Netgear DM602 and FM114P. You'd think that being made by the same manufacturer, they'd be an absolute doddle to get working together but Netgear told me that the combo was not supported. Ass-holes. I got them to work eventually. The moral of this sad tale is:

Buy a combined modem/router and save yourself a lot of hassle.

“If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is compromise” - Robert Fritz
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 03-May-12 19:58:17
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

But ... having them separate men that each processor is just doing one thing rather than both and having to switch between the software mode/demod and managing the data switching.

Often you find that combined unit can be getting near maximum usage on the processor whereas on separates there is a lot less load on each.

In the end ... swings and roundabouts!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-May-12 21:13:44
Print Post

The routers with ethernet WAN port have been around because Virgin Media cable users have used them for years and the rise of FTTC with its supplied modem makes them more popular

If you are on an ADSL2+ service, then generally a combined device is the best route

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Thu 03-May-12 22:17:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'd agree with both the above posts.

While a lot of combined router/modem/wireless devices don't have processors fast enough to max out more than one thing at a time, on ADSL(2+) your speeds aren't going to be high enough for it to matter.

That said, modem'ing itself is really not that processor intensive, it's the NAT'ing and wireless that takes its toll on the CPU.
Standard User Sylcol
(member) Fri 04-May-12 11:11:57
Print Post

Thank you for the replies. I am on LLU and my sync. is at the moment 21447 and a download speed of 18 Mbps on TT up to 24 Meg service.
Nothing to complain about really but just looking for the best set-up
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 04-May-12 11:56:47
Print Post

One distinct advantage is that the modem can go close to te master socket, minimising interference from household equipment and then the router/hub up to 100m away using a single Cat5e cable to locate it where most convenient.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to