Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheLastMan
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-May-12 13:00:23
Print Post

5GHz WiFi through two wooden floors?

[link to this post]

Just bought a new Buffalo 802.11n access point but I am getting no better a signal than I had with my old 802.11g one.

Using wireless networking analysis software I can see that virtually everybody in the neighbourhood is running an 802.11n router or access point (about 12 are visible from my laptop!) but everybody is being knocked down to 802.11g 54mb/s -presumably by interference from all the others.

To get over this I am thinking of getting two Buffalo WLAE-AG300N Bridge / Access Points to create a 5GHz network around the house, one in the loft (next to my router) in access point mode the other on the ground floor in "bridge and repeat" mode that will take the signal from the AP and rebroadcast it.

That is about 18 feet apart and through two wooden floors with plaster ceilings underneath.

I have heard that 5GHz does not cope well with obstructions so I am nervous that I would spend £80 and end up with no improvement again.

Does anybody have experience of using 5GHz WiFi? Is it as sensitive to obstructions as is sometimes stated?

Matthew
--------
Demon dial-up ('97) > Freeserve dial-up ('00) > Zen 512 ('02) > Metronet PayGo 1000 ('04) > Newnet Home 2050 Lite ('05) > Home 8050 Lite ('06) > Home 8050 M ('07) > back down to Home 8050 Lite ('07) > Be Value > ('08) > O2 Standard ('09) > Orange Broadband and Anytime Calls ('10) > ?
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 15-May-12 13:18:11
Print Post

Re: 5GHz WiFi through two wooden floors?

[re: TheLastMan] [link to this post]

Wifi should / will not be 'knocked down' to 54 mbps on wireless N

The most that will happen is that instead of broadcasting at 40 mhz it will broadcast at 20 mhz meaning it will perform around 150 mbps maximum instead. Not 54

Are you sure that your not using a wireless g wifi card?

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 15-May-12 13:18:27)

Standard User GMAN98
(experienced) Tue 15-May-12 13:36:27
Print Post

Have you considered returning the router and going back to your old router and using homeplugs instead?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheLastMan
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-May-12 14:14:55
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

It is an "N" card (Intel Advanced-N 6200) which is dual band N and has a theoretical maximum link speed of 300 Mbps.

I think it may be the wireless detection software I am using (Wireless NetView) which having run it again at work is showing 54 Mbps on everything!

I will try again with more conventional software and see what that turns up. If I can get a link speed of greater than 54Mbps then I will probably just go with a single bridge as I have only one legacy "g" device (a Logitech Squeezebox Duet Receiver) that is having any significant issues. It has an ethernet port so I can fix it using a WiFi to ethernet bridge.

I like the Buffalo one because it is cheap, small and dual band (just in case I need it in the future), but a bit nervous that it does not have an external antenna.

I was tempted to send the new AP back, but it has 4 Gigabit ethernet ports so is doubling up as a switch. Anyway I want to try to get it to work at "n" link speeds somehow, in a way that still gives me legacy "g" support.

We need wireless because we are a 6 person household with three smartphones, an iPod touch, three laptops and a Squeezebox Wireless Controller! The best way I could use powerline networking is to create a bridge to a second Access Point. I have tried that before but the cable distance and age of the wiring from router in loft to AP on ground floor actually led to a less reliable link than WiFi.

Matthew
--------
Demon dial-up ('97) > Freeserve dial-up ('00) > Zen 512 ('02) > Metronet PayGo 1000 ('04) > Newnet Home 2050 Lite ('05) > Home 8050 Lite ('06) > Home 8050 M ('07) > back down to Home 8050 Lite ('07) > Be Value > ('08) > O2 Standard ('09) > Orange Broadband and Anytime Calls ('10) > ?

Edited by TheLastMan (Tue 15-May-12 14:19:23)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 15-May-12 15:02:07
Print Post

Don't know about how well the router will perform but experience in other fields suggest that it may give better results as the attenuation through the floor boards could be less.

I have had a dig around and found this: www.solwise.co.uk%2Fdownloads%2Ffiles%2Fintheuk5ghz.pdf&ei=32CyT56dEoKg0QXwv9GQCw&usg=AFQjCNFNewg_4T4ZkcWpUH7s_T63W8FQiA and even if you ignore the maths, it is interesting reading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User TheLastMan
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-May-12 16:41:34
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info. The correct links is as follows though:
http://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/files/intheuk5ghz...

Reading through it points up a major contradiction. Everything I have read elsewhere states that 5Ghz penetrates building materials less well than 2.4Ghz, and this is confirmed by the real world tests on wireless kit carried out at http://SmallNetBuilder.com. He uses "zones" in a building he has labelled A to F in ascending order of distance and difficult obstacles. Good 2.4Ghz wireless can reach usably all the way from A to F, but 5Ghz cannot usually get beyond Zone D.

I wish I knew more about those zones so I could get a handle on what is stopping the signal in zones E and F.

The contradiction in the paper is that Solwise state that 5Ghz is more readily reflecrted AND more readily transmitted. Both cannot be true!

Anyway, I am will have another bash at home this evening at getting a link rate higher than 54 Mbps and report back.

Matthew
--------
Standard User TheLastMan
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-May-12 16:48:09
Print Post

Doh!

In reply to a post by TheLastMan:
I think it may be the wireless detection software I am using (Wireless NetView) which having run it again at work is showing 54 Mbps on everything!

Oops... just realised that the software was telling me that the best connection that my laptop could make with these access points was 54g! Clearly there is something up with my Wireless client setup. Will do some digging.

Matthew
--------
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 15-May-12 18:38:31
Print Post

Re: Doh!

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ is quite good

It shows the APs and their overlapping channels.

Choose channel 1 6 or 11 and choose one which has the lowest bars

I have over 10 wifi networks available and I still get 144 mbps wireless upstairs from the router. My router only supports 144 mbps though so I can't expect better
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 15-May-12 18:39:42
Print Post

Also update your drivers at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?la...
Standard User petsy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-May-12 19:41:47
Print Post

Are you using wpa2 encryption?

Taken from the Intel website:
"The 802.11n specification indicates that a compliant adapter can achieve transfer rates greater than 54 Mbps on 802.11n connections only when using AES security or no security. You should only use no security when setting up or troubleshooting the network.

To enable AES for Personal Security, select WPA-Personal (AES-CCMP) or WPA2-Personal (AES-CCMP) in the Security Settings pulldown menu. To enable AES for Enterprise Security, select AES-CCMP in the Data Encryption pulldown menu".

Edited by petsy (Wed 16-May-12 00:19:09)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to