Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User spd
(member) Fri 25-May-12 14:08:03
Print Post

Wireless range extenders - usual to get slower throughput?

[link to this post]

I've got a TP-Link TD-W8960N router sat down in the far corner of my lounge synced to the exchange at a little over 13 meg.

Sat in the lounge, I can usually achieve a d/s rate of around 10.5 meg, .9 meg up at speedtest.net.

However, my study is one floor up at the opposite corner of the house - which has a square footprint. Signal is poor and occasionally drops out. My Samsung Netbook is still using stock on-board wi-fi.

So, in the dining room, immediately below my desk, one floor down, I've plugged in a TP-Link TL-WA701ND configured as a universal repeater. I'm now getting an excellent signal at the desk.

However, when connected to the repeater, I'm only getting around 5 meg down.

Is this normal behaviour when using an extender/repeater?

Tia.

SPD.
Standard User drummerjohn
(member) Fri 25-May-12 14:12:48
Print Post

Re: Wireless range extenders - usual to get slower throughpu

[re: spd] [link to this post]

Yes - you are halving the throughput as you are transmitting and receiving the data twice instead of once.
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Fri 25-May-12 15:43:29
Print Post

As drummerjohn says, yes, it is.

I would suggest linking the router and access point using either CAT5 cable, or homeplugs. Either will give you a far faster link between the two, and a quieter wireless network.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Fri 25-May-12 15:49:19
Print Post

[re: drummerjohn] [link to this post]

No. You're only halving the speed of the wireless link, which should be >100mbps. Not halving the speed of the internet connection that has nothing to do with the wireless.

High end repeater setups will achieve well over 100mbps IP throughput over one repeated hop. The OP's setup, being as bottom end as it gets, should still do 15-20 easily.

Edited by qasdfdsaq (Fri 25-May-12 15:51:18)

Standard User spd
(member) Fri 25-May-12 16:03:35
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

But my understanding here is that if I do as you suggest and use the TP-LINK WA701ND not as an extender, but as a pure access point, then I am not going to be extending the range of my network, but merely broadcasting it from a different ponit in the house?

TIA,

SPD.
Standard User spd
(member) Fri 25-May-12 16:05:14
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

The router may be 'low end' as you suggest, but it's been far more reliable that any I've used before, from more well known brands.

I am surprised by the reduction in throughput when wirelessly linked to the extender though.

SPD.
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Fri 25-May-12 16:29:16
Print Post

The low end reference is to the wireless link itself, I was not making any suggestions about the reliability or quality of the equipment.

Typical speed capabilities on 11n are 65, 130, 150, 300, 450. Your repeater is single-stream, 2.4Ghz only, which basically makes it a 65mbps device, i.e. the lowest configuration available on 11n, i.e. yours will most likely be working at the lowest of these.

Even then 65mbps link will give about 35mbps "download speed" and half of that, i.e. 15-20 when repeated.

Edited by qasdfdsaq (Fri 25-May-12 16:29:57)

Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Fri 25-May-12 16:30:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by spd:
But my understanding here is that if I do as you suggest and use the TP-LINK WA701ND not as an extender, but as a pure access point, then I am not going to be extending the range of my network, but merely broadcasting it from a different ponit in the house?

TIA,

SPD.

Yes, and that is a better solution than a repeater, as it performs better by adding more capacity instead of interfering with itself
Standard User spd
(member) Fri 25-May-12 17:04:03
Print Post

But given that the card in my Sammy is only G, then the N capability of my router isn't of great concern.

SPD
Standard User spd
(member) Fri 25-May-12 17:05:26
Print Post

Can you explain what you mean by 'adding more capacity'?

BTW, running cabling isn't practical within our house, so a homeplug setup would perhaps therefore be the alternative?

SPD.

Edited by spd (Fri 25-May-12 17:10:46)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to