Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Geordie_UK
(experienced) Thu 07-Jun-12 20:58:07
Print Post

Need help with Linksys WRT120N

[link to this post]

Currently with sky, but migrating to Vivaciti, I bought a Linksys WRT120N router to use on Vivaciti, but I have an issue, when I plug in the rj45 cable for WAN, it disconnects the phone (normal phone, not voip), it should be impossible but it does it, wether plugged in or not, its rather bizzare.

Anyone had or even heard of an issue like this
Standard User wanapoo
(member) Thu 07-Jun-12 21:09:43
Print Post

Re: Need help with Linksys WRT120N

[re: Geordie_UK] [link to this post]

I maybe out of date with my information but If memory serves me correctly, Vivaciti primarily deal with DSL. What are you plugging this router into as the WRT120N doesn't have a DSL modem built into it, so in theory you would have to have a seperate dsl modem that your plugging it into right?

Standard User Geordie_UK
(experienced) Thu 07-Jun-12 21:24:54
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

its a modem router, during setup it asks what type of connection you have dsl, cable etc, and what type ppoe, dhcp, static etc, and asks for login details for your isp, and was used in UK reviews on some isp's so definitely has modem built in.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Jun-12 21:32:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Geordie_UK:
definitely has modem built in.

It doesn't - you're connecting an ethernet port to a phone line - the fact that it's RJ45 instead of RJ11 should really be a clue.

Linksys part numbers including WAG are modem routers....

jon

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User Geordie_UK
(experienced) Thu 07-Jun-12 21:42:53
Print Post

[re: JonRennie] [link to this post]

LoL sorry it is the rj11 cable that disconnects the phone when plugged in, (I've had quite a stressful day)

There is a seperate yellow socket for the rj11 marked internet, and 4 blue sockets for rj45 marked as ethernet.

Thing is, I can have the router with no other cables attached, plug in the rj11 and the phone goes off, so its not a power feedback, but it should never knock the phone off at all, there is nothing running on the router, unplugged, no cables, nothing transmitting, no electricity.

plug in Rj11 and phone goes off.
Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Jun-12 21:59:32
Print Post

I promise you it's not a modem router!

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User Geordie_UK
(experienced) Thu 07-Jun-12 22:05:09
Print Post

[re: JonRennie] [link to this post]

Well it was sold as a modem router, asks for isp username and password, asks which type of connection as in PPoE DHCP etc, why would it have those options if it wasn't a modem router
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 07-Jun-12 22:39:30
Print Post

Well it was sold as a modem router, asks for isp username and password, asks which type of connection as in PPoE DHCP etc, why would it have those options if it wasn't a modem router
Because it's a router. Some routers connect to cable modems or FTTC modems and establish a PPPOE session.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User wanapoo
(member) Thu 07-Jun-12 22:47:12
Print Post

There are two different versions which look the same,

This is a WAG120N which has a built in DSL modem, the port that connects to the phone line is GREY!
http://extranet.widget.co.uk/resources/images/Linksy...

This is a picture of a WRT120N, which is what you have got which does not have a built in modem. this plugs into a seperate modem and the port is yellow.
http://www.technosid.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/...

You've bought the wrong version.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Jun-12 01:07:05
Print Post

There is a separate yellow socket for the rj11 marked Internet, and 4 blue sockets for rj45 marked as ethernet.
The modem version would have it marked "DSL". The clue is that the yellow socket is same size/shape as the Ethernet sockets. Therefore is fit for RJ45 not RJ11.

Afraid you bought wrong router frown

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to