Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tyalaw
(newbie) Fri 08-Jun-12 19:43:43
Print Post

Problem with BT master socket wiring and internet connection

[link to this post]

We started having trouble with our internet connection, and not the telephone, until I isolated the problem to the front cover of the master socket. Having by-passed the cover and used the main connection the internet works OK.

I have checked the other telephone extensions for a loose or shorting connection but have not been able to detect anything.

I have since purchased a new master socket, thinking it will be easy to swop over as the wires are colour coded. Unfortunately there is one wire that is not shown on the colour coding!

Within the old and new socket there are just four 'slots' for connection.

The three colour coded wires on the informationcard for the new socket are,

5 - Telephone; White wire/blue rings

3 - Telehone; Orange wire/white rings

2 - Telephone: Blue wire;whire rings.

All these wires I can identify but the existing wiring also has a white wire with orange rings!!?? Where did that come from.

I'm sure it is obvious my knowlege is very limited but I'm hoping someone will improve it and guide me to trace the problem with the connection when using the front of then master socket.

Thanks in anticipation
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 08-Jun-12 19:48:19
Print Post

Re: Problem with BT master socket wiring and internet connec

[re: tyalaw] [link to this post]

You only need 2 and 5. 3 is the ring wire and if the phones ring without this then leave it off. You don't need the other one at all.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User tyalaw
(newbie) Fri 08-Jun-12 19:54:01
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply,

If I assume all wiring was fine before the connection problem is it likely the connection problem is within this socket/actual wiring?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 08-Jun-12 20:15:59
Print Post

The usual thing to do with a wiring fault is to try the test socket in the master which you have done. This eliminates your extension wiring from the connection which has shown the fault is in the extension wiring. One of the cures is to remove the ring wire, which is why I suggested it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User tyalaw
(newbie) Fri 08-Jun-12 20:24:31
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for your help
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Jun-12 10:24:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by tyalaw:
We started having trouble with our internet connection, and not the telephone, until I isolated the problem to the front cover of the master socket. Having by-passed the cover and used the main connection the internet works OK.

I have checked the other telephone extensions for a loose or shorting connection but have not been able to detect anything.

I have since purchased a new master socket, thinking it will be easy to swop over as the wires are colour coded. Unfortunately there is one wire that is not shown on the colour coding!

Within the old and new socket there are just four 'slots' for connection.

The three colour coded wires on the informationcard for the new socket are,

5 - Telephone; White wire/blue rings

3 - Telehone; Orange wire/white rings

2 - Telephone: Blue wire;whire rings.

All these wires I can identify but the existing wiring also has a white wire with orange rings!!?? Where did that come from.

I'm sure it is obvious my knowlege is very limited but I'm hoping someone will improve it and guide me to trace the problem with the connection when using the front of then master socket.

Thanks in anticipation
With modern digital telephones now only connections 2 and 5 are required, 3 is for the old electro/mechanical telephone bell wire connection and can cause interference with broadband.

UK Telephone wiring information to help you. wink

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephon...

http://www.rob-r.co.uk/other/UKphonecatwiring.html

Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
  Print Thread

Jump to