Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ixnay
(newbie) Fri 15-Jun-12 12:12:00
Print Post

Getting FTTC soon - what cables do I need?

[link to this post]

I have booked my regrade and will be getting fibre from Eclipse next month and I want to be prepared.
I have a Billion 7800 wireless modem/router/switch at present and this has a WAN port so I understand that I can plug the outout from BT Openreach VDSL modem into this and it should all work?
However, what else should I get to make sure I get best possible connection>

Starting at the master socket - I assume that BT engineer brings a cable that goes from socket to modem.
Is this the same type of cable that goes from master socket/ADSL faceplate to the Billion 7800?
If so I have a good quality Belkin high speed modem cable that I could use as I suspect that BT will provide generic El Cheapo cable.

Next, from VDSL modem to router - this is just a regular ethernet cable right? If so should I get a CAT6 patch cable or is a regular one okay?
Any tips most apprecciated.
Cheers!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Jun-12 12:27:46
Print Post

Re: Getting FTTC soon - what cables do I need?

[re: ixnay] [link to this post]

Normal cat5e ethernet cables are fine, no need for anything special or expensive.

The socket to VDSL modem, is just a standard dsl modem cable, nothing fancy, as no need for oxygen free, gold coatings or similar.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ixnay
(newbie) Fri 15-Jun-12 17:33:54
Print Post

Re: Getting FTTC soon - what cables do I need?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Okay cool, thanks Andrew.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to