Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Jun-12 12:55:20
Print Post

this networking stuff is

[link to this post]

complex. i never really done much of it before, just stuck cables in, set up wireless and that is about it, I know a little bit about IP addresses.

just been looking at my router as it offers a lot more than my old router and it got stuff like Egress Bandwidth and Ingress Bandwidth. what the hell?

i worked out that is to do with bandwidth control and QOS, i wanted it set in a way that if I turn my PS3 on and using that on the net it would make the bandwidth the computer useing lees, but it seems like I can't do that on the TP-link.

Also Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface can up on my ip config, I sure it was not there before, i found out it had something to do with converting IPv4 to IPv6.

I will have to get down to some more reading.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Jun-12 13:09:35
Print Post

Re: this networking stuff is

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Lol!

Ingress is download (from the internet) and egress is upload (to the internet)

You don't need QoS unless you have a slow connection or a heavy user on the network hammering the connection when your trying to do something else.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jun-12 08:23:21
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 5km:
Lol!

Ingress is download (from the internet) and egress is upload (to the internet)

Oh yes, i should have realised that smile why not just call it upload and download or in and out?

You don't need QoS unless you have a slow connection or a heavy user on the network hammering the connection when your trying to do something else.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

Ok, I will leave alone,

Adrian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jun-12 12:56:28
Print Post

Just don't buy such a complicated router. Bet you paid extra for those fine words.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Mon 18-Jun-12 13:02:05
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Maybe somebody in China has used Google Translate to design the UI smile

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jun-12 16:25:55
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Just don't buy such a complicated router. Bet you paid extra for those fine words.

At least it is future proof, I think.

It is a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, £29 i got it for because of a damaged box, so a good price to be honest. sure I could have got something cheaper and was thinking of doing so, but I wanted a a fast lan, and this one is 1Gb,

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jun-12 16:28:06
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
Maybe somebody in China has used Google Translate to design the UI smile

Most of them are made in China, how many computer parts are not made in China? It used to be Japan or Taiwan, now it we pay peanuts china.

Adrian

Standard User greenglide
(committed) Mon 18-Jun-12 16:56:47
Print Post

£29 is well towards the bottom range for a router anyway!

The "quality" expensive ones (Billion, Draytek etc) are over £100!

I have a TP-Link Wireless access point that was around £15 from Amazon and it does exactly what I require - converts my wired LAN laser printer to wireless after a house move meant that the cable option wasnt particularly convenient. The UI on that is full of grand phrases as well which doesnt make it go any faster!

My Samknows White box is made by TP-Link as well - the kit seems keenly priced - presumably as they seem to be ramping up their presence in the UK market.

BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Jun-12 08:30:37
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
£29 is well towards the bottom range for a router anyway!

The "quality" expensive ones (Billion, Draytek etc) are over £100!

I realise that, but I don't want to pay that amount, I could have gone for something about £20, but I wanted something that was fast lan wise.

I have a TP-Link Wireless access point that was around £15 from Amazon and it does exactly what I require - converts my wired LAN laser printer to wireless after a house move meant that the cable option wasnt particularly convenient. The UI on that is full of grand phrases as well which doesnt make it go any faster!

My Samknows White box is made by TP-Link as well - the kit seems keenly priced - presumably as they seem to be ramping up their presence in the UK market.

I have no idea what a Sams knows white box is, I presume it is some sort of monitoring box. You are right TP-link seems to offer decent stuff at a good price, my 1Gb network switch was £14, Netgears, cisco and others was a lot more than that.

i am really pleased with both the switch and the router, just a shame they don't produce a voip adaptor.

Adrian

Standard User greenglide
(committed) Tue 19-Jun-12 08:56:03
Print Post

The Samknows White Box is a monitoring box, provided free by Samknows, which collects performance data for collation by Samknows as part of their contract with some part of the European Union.

Produces lots of pretty graphs and hourly performance and stability reports.

Since this is connected after the router it knows nothing about the ADSL data (SNR, sync rates etc) but measures up / down speed tests, ping responses etc.

Quite cool and like running a whole barrage of tests each hour!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to