Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 19-Jun-12 11:38:04
Print Post

Wireless speed

[link to this post]

I have a O2 wireless box IV and a Samsung r530 laptop. How can I get a speed above 65mbps while using wireless?

Cheers
George
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Tue 19-Jun-12 12:17:02
Print Post

Re: Wireless speed

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Does the wireless box IV support wireless N? If not ditch it or turn off wireless and connect a wireless AP which is N capable.

Does the PC have a Wireless N card? If not fit one if possible.

Are their lots of other wireless networks in the area? Use inSSIDer (Google it) to see what channels they are using and change the channels used by yours so there is as little overlap as possible.

Since inSSIDer is free - try this first smile

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 19-Jun-12 16:59:37
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Yip both wireless box iv and laptop are wireless N, i am using channel 13 on the router as i have already done a scan using inssider and on channel 13 the closest person is on channel 6

Cheers
George

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Jun-12 17:09:47
Print Post

Single channel wireless N has a maximum of 150 Mbps, 75Mbps down and 75 up.

So question is what is the 65 Mbps figure you mention?

You need to use two channels (40MHz) rather than the standard 20 MHz which comes from using a 300 Mbps N router and wireless card. In short two flavours of the wireless N system.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 19-Jun-12 18:24:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The 65mbps is the actual wireless speed reported by the router, but if what you say is correct 65mbps download and 65mbps upload makes 130mbps which is what the router is capable off. I just thought the 130mbps just applied to download speed

cheers
george
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Jun-12 18:26:47
Print Post

Tradition is for wireless routers to quote the sum of the speeds in both directions.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User prlzx
(committed) Tue 19-Jun-12 20:27:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

65Mbps is single (spatial) stream, 20Mhz width, Long GI:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009#Data_...

and I'd assume the number of spatial streams will be related to the number of antennas in both access point and laptop.

The poster could try short GI if an option on the AP and it may increase to 72Mbps (not 75), If there are few neighbouring networks and few devices connecting that will probably be ok.

Although the poster could try to set "40Mhz" (double-width) or "Auto 20/40" not all devices are compatible and there will be interference unless the neighbour moved down to channel 5.
In this case the poster could stay on channel 13 and 40MHz would effectively be 13+9 (plus overlaps) leaving 1+5.

At work, we never deploy 40Mhz in 2.4GHz unless there are no other networks in range and we don't worry about trying to eek out small gains from short GI because the band is already so congested so Long GI may mean less retransmits anyway.

In addition, if using encryption the poster should use WPA2-AES (CCMP) not WPA1 nor TKIP.
Wireless hardware acceleration is available for AES (via the chipsets or enhanced processor instruction sets) and may not achieve maximum rates on WEP or TKIP.

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on n e w n e t: ADSL2+ / 21CN at 2.5Mbps / 800k

Edited by prlzx (Tue 19-Jun-12 20:32:06)

Print Thread

Jump to