Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ppb7
(newbie) Tue 19-Jun-12 16:52:08
Print Post

Bridging the gap(?)

[link to this post]

Having recently changed ISPs and opted for BT Infinity (BT Hub 3.0), I have noticed that coverage is patchy at the front of the house. I would therefore like to extend coverage. As I bought not too long ago a Belkin Play (F7D4402v1) router, I was wondering if I could use it as a wireless repeater or bridge or access point (the connection needs to be wireless) and i could also connect to it a printer to be accessed via a print server.
I have already ascertained that that router does not support DD-WRT, so would be grateful if you could suggest other alternatives. I know it can be configured to act as a 1483 bridge (whatever that is), but would that be of any use to me? Or is there another better solution?
Thanks in advances for your replies!

ppb7

------------------------------------
Je pense donc je suis!
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Tue 19-Jun-12 17:20:48
Print Post

Re: Bridging the gap(?)

[re: ppb7] [link to this post]

You need a device that supports WDS and I don't think the Belkin device does.

WDS is flakey as the "standard" isnt, I believe, actually part of the WiFi alliance certification.

The Home Hub definitely does WDS - either get another HH (same version) or ditch the HH and get two devices from the same manufacturer (ideally the same model).

Remember that you will have connected through two wireless devices if you are connected via the remote device (switching between them should be automatic!) which will increase latency and limit bandwidth as the same channel is used for both devices.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Jun-12 17:39:27
Print Post

Assuming that both routers have a spare LAN port, you could try connecting the two together (LAN to LAN) with a patch cable.

Dissable the DHCP server in the F7D4402v1 and you are then just simply using it as a switch and WAP.

It could be as simple as that (it works with my Draytek and Belkin routers).

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ppb7
(newbie) Tue 19-Jun-12 19:41:30
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Thanks for this. Wired connection therefore seems to be the only viable and sensible option

------------------------------------
Je pense donc je suis!
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Jun-12 20:43:12
Print Post

You could use homeplug to connect the router and access point

“I never married because there was no need. I have three pets at home which answer the same purpose as a husband. I have a dog that growls every morning, a parrot that swears all afternoon, and a cat that comes home late at night.” - Marie Corelli
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Jun-12 20:43:36
Print Post

Wired networking is generally better than wireless in terms of bandwidth and latency (and security) and suffers only in terms of convenience. If it is an option I would always suggest using a wired network conection over wireless.

Obviously wireless is a boon to a laptop though, so as has been suggested, if you want you can try setting the spare router to act as a wireless access point by turning off the DHCP server, and connecting one of the LAN ports on the spare router (turn DHCP off first, that is important) to one of the LAN ports on the main router (that connects you to the net). As an added bonus the spare LAN ports on the spare router will then also act as wired LAN ports, that should also just work.

happily chugging along on plusnet and Virginmedia (yes I am greedy)
My web server
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Jun-12 21:09:54
Print Post

Hi, this will help you configure your spare router as the wireless access point…

http://i.dslr.net/pics/faqs/image93081.jpg

http://www.tested.com/news/how-to/298-how-to-use-an-...

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/static-ip-addre...

http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Important your main router and the wireless access point must be within the static IP address range.

Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Jun-12 21:11:28
Print Post

[re: pmb00cs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pmb00cs:
...... if you want you can try setting the spare router to act as a wireless access point by turning off the DHCP server, and connecting one of the LAN ports on the spare router (turn DHCP off first, that is important) to one of the LAN ports on the main router (that connects you to the net). As an added bonus the spare LAN ports on the spare router will then also act as wired LAN ports, that should also just work.
Now, that is a good idea. although expressed in more detail than than my post.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Jun-12 21:48:46
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

I know this may sound amazing, but sometimes, just occasionally, someone on the internet gives good advice!

Even more amazingly, and even more occasionally, someone else agrees with them tongue

happily chugging along on plusnet and Virginmedia (yes I am greedy)
My web server
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Jun-12 22:36:24
Print Post

[re: pmb00cs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pmb00cs:
someone else agrees with them
Steady on! smile

“I never married because there was no need. I have three pets at home which answer the same purpose as a husband. I have a dog that growls every morning, a parrot that swears all afternoon, and a cat that comes home late at night.” - Marie Corelli
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to