Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User swervinc
(regular) Sat 30-Jun-12 16:26:51
Print Post

L2TP/IPsec VPN Server Setup

[link to this post]

Just wondering if anyone can help me set one up. I've started using public networks a lot more now and want to be more secure. I was successful in setting up a PPTP server using a DD-WRT router but apparently this is no longer very secure and I would like a more permanent solution. I have attempted to set up L2TP/IPsec with a pre-shared key in Ubuntu using openswan. Although I learned a lot about the command line I havn't been able to get it going after trying multiple times. Is there an easier GUI version for Windows 7 or ubuntu? I want to be able to connect Windows 7, Android and iOS devices. Thanks in advance.
Standard User CommandQ
(learned) Sat 30-Jun-12 17:01:37
Print Post

Re: L2TP/IPsec VPN Server Setup

[re: swervinc] [link to this post]

IIRC you can use RRAS for your VPN, I'm not sure if it's in Windows 7 (I think it is), I've only used it on my EC2 server (W2K8 R2). I use a VPN provider for my VPN because it's simply much more cost effective but I have also used OpenVPN in the past and that definitely works with Windows 7.

I can provide you with the server and client files for the Windows 7 version of OpenVPN. You would need to generate the certificates, the key and the Diffie Hellman file.
Standard User swervinc
(regular) Sat 30-Jun-12 17:39:38
Print Post

[re: CommandQ] [link to this post]

Unfortunately I wouldn't know where to begin lol. I just wanted to set up a solution at home so I would have more control and of course its free except for electricity. Plus its more fun =). Thanks for your suggestions.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CommandQ
(learned) Sat 30-Jun-12 18:07:44
Print Post

[re: swervinc] [link to this post]

You can use the guide that is below if you like, it's really easy, and again I can provide you with the config files. All you would need to do is install the software and then follow that simple guide.

http://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/Easy_Windo...
Standard User swervinc
(regular) Sat 30-Jun-12 19:03:55
Print Post

[re: CommandQ] [link to this post]

OK I'll give it a go - another question >

do I put any values in the vars.bat or do they have to be specific?

set KEY_COUNTRY=US
set KEY_PROVINCE=CA
set KEY_CITY=SanFrancisco
set KEY_ORG=OpenVPN
set KEY_EMAIL=mail@host.domain

Edited by swervinc (Sat 30-Jun-12 19:43:07)

Print Thread

Jump to