Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jnd
(newbie) Wed 01-Aug-12 11:17:12
Print Post

Issue with BT Mastersocket and extensions. Newbie help!

[link to this post]

Hi.

Complete novice with this so hope someone can help.

Moved into a newish house and couldn't get my BB to sync. ADSL kept flashing. Connected straight into master test socket and it's fine. So I checked the back of the socket for the connections and it looks ok. 2 has blue/white, 5 has white/blue and 3 has orange/white. However, the cable with those 3 wires has green/white connected straight to a separate orange wire and white/green to a white. From looking at wiring diags I know that usually these are the incoming BT cable colours so I checked what is going to the master itself and it is a white and a blue wire. I'm very confused and hopefully someone can help me understand why I can't get my ADSL to sync from an extension.

Thanks in advance.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 01-Aug-12 11:49:02
Print Post

Re: Issue with BT Mastersocket and extensions. Newbie help!

[re: jnd] [link to this post]

Any idea where those other wires go to?

Are the Orange & White part of the incoming cable where Green and Black feeds the master?

Some pictures of the master and wire, along with any extensions would be useful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User jnd
(newbie) Wed 01-Aug-12 12:19:12
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hi.

I'll check where they come from and report back. Will also check one of the extensions

Thanks

Pic 1

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 01-Aug-12 12:48:20
Print Post

[re: jnd] [link to this post]

You definitely need to find out where all of those cables run.

The Blue and White pair on A & B - that is not an incoming BT cable pair as they are: Or&Wh, Gn&Bk, Bl&Bn, R&Gy. So, where does it originate?

The Orange and White - where do they go?

The three pair internal - where it that to/from?

I can make a guess - but may be wrong: The Or & Wh pair originate from the BT pole/drop wire but were Gel crimped to the Gn/Wh & Wh/Gn (spare in internal cable) to feed the incoming signal to a different room where a previous occupant/owner wanted their DSL modem. The filtered signal was then fed back to the master socket you have photographed, so it could be used as a telephone extension.

The Blue and White pair feed an alarm or another extension? and they were NOT (99.999999% certain) installed by a BT technician.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 03-Aug-12 21:28:23
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That is a BT UG feed cable - the colour codes are blue/white, orange/white, green/white brown/white slate/white.
The nte5 pictured is feed by blue white (correct), the pr2 (orange white) - is crimped onto the green pair of internal to feed another (second) line somewhere in the property (maybe disused business line).
The wiring looks fine.
Please note you should not be disconnecting the rear or the BT master socket from the wall.
- BT Engineer.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 03-Aug-12 21:30:48
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Looking at pic three the blue wire has snapped from port 2, may have been hr dis causing your fault. You can buy an idc tool from b&q to reconnect (krone inserter). Using a flat head screwdriver will most likely cock up the pins.
- BT Engineer
  Print Thread

Jump to