Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User slpj
(newbie) Wed 01-Aug-12 14:33:41
Print Post

Wireless speeds

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've been using a Plusnet supplied wireless router, Thomson TG585 V8, for over a year. I use it on wireless. It sits about 4 feet away from my Laptop.

In the last 2 weeks I have noticed quite a bad slow down in the time it takes to load pages from the internet.

If I use speedtest.net, ---- ON WIRELESS, it shows I am getting over 3Mbps download and only about 0.05Mbps on UPLOAD. Sometimes the upload test fails.

I used to get a fairly decent upload speed of about 0.3Mbps when using wireless, but now it has slowed a lot. Could this be the cause of my internet pages now loading so slowly?

When I do the same test as above, but WIRED, I get roughly the same download speed of over 3Mbps, but a much better 0.3Mbps, the same that I used to get on wireless, and my internet pages load very quickly.

What could cause my wireless to be so poor and how do I check it?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Aug-12 02:26:19
Print Post

Re: Wireless speeds

[re: slpj] [link to this post]

inSSIDer to avoid neighbours' channels.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Bapteeed
(learned) Thu 02-Aug-12 03:52:38
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

or this if u have android phone
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fa...

Edited by Bapteeed (Thu 02-Aug-12 03:53:18)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Aug-12 08:38:05
Print Post

[re: Bapteeed] [link to this post]

a good idea but most user's routers have their wireless channel set to auto meaning the jump around mostly from channel 6 & 11

SOTV KRO BCFC smile
Standard User slpj
(newbie) Thu 02-Aug-12 09:33:26
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't understand any of those replies. Are you saying that my next door neighbour is causing my wireless upload speed to drop, and that's causing my internet pages to load slowly?

As a test, I took my laptop next door yesterday, -- semi detached --- and used my neighbours wireless router to connect to the internet.

He is on Talk Talk, and uses a D-Link router. Although he has a slower download speed than I have, about 2Mbps, I got over 0.3Mbps upload speed, and the internet pages loaded pretty well instantly. So it's definitely something to do with the wireless on my Thomson router, and not my laptop.

From my room, I can't see his D-link router on my list of wireless connections, but from his house, I can see mine (Plus-net Thomson router), albeit with a very weak signal. I couldn't connect to mine from his though, because the connection was too weak.

My question was about internet pages loading slowly, and could this be caused by the slow UPLOAD speed I get on my Thompson router?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 02-Aug-12 11:29:49
Print Post

Looks like you have proved that it is.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Thu 02-Aug-12 11:34:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

But not the reason why!

I assume you have more than one neighbour - could be interference from the other side.

Having said that I would have thought WIFI would be impacted equally on download as well is upload.

Got a spare router to try?

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity, install date Friday 10th August!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 02-Aug-12 11:51:09
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
In reply to a post by BatBoy:

But not the reason why!
In reply to a post by slpj:
So it's definitely something to do with the wireless on my Thomson router
I wonder what the wireless settings are on the router?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User slpj
(newbie) Thu 02-Aug-12 15:11:40
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I did some reading so I could understand the first posts. smile I have intel proset software, and that allows me to see the detaills of the routers in range. None have a signal strength more than the absolute minimum. My house is a semi detached, and the nearest next house is at least 60/70 feet away.

This is a copy of the configuration of my router. It WAS on channel 1, but I changed it to 6, as suggested.

Interface Enabled: Yes
Physical Address: Blanked by me.
Network Name (SSID): PlusnetWireless xxxxxxxx
Interface Type: 802.11b/g/n
Actual Speed: 65 Mbps
Band: 2.4G Hz
Channel Selection: Manual
Region: Europe
Channel: 6
Allow multicast from Broadband Network: Yes

Security

Broadcast Network Name: Yes
Allow New Devices: New stations are allowed (automatically)
Security Mode: WPA-PSK
WPA-PSK Preshared Key: Blanked by me.
WPA-PSK Encryption: TKIP+AES
WPA-PSK Version: WPA+WPA2

Does this tell anyone anything useful about why my upload speed is low, and if the upload speed is really the cause of the problem?

Unfortunately I don't have a spare router to try.

Thanks.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Aug-12 15:17:33
Print Post

Have you tried the speed test when connected to the router with a wire? With those wireless connectivity stats then the average upload on adsl shouldn't be giving it any issue. Are you sure it is wireless causing the problem rather than the ADSL itself?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to