Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User vinnym70
(newbie) Mon 13-Aug-12 13:09:18
Print Post

Router functionality

[link to this post]

I'm considering a new wireless router. Currently I'm with Plusnet on FTTC 80/20 trial and using the Netgear WNR1000 they supplied.

However, I'm looking for some specific features which don't seem to be quite up to spec on the Netgear.

First, I need to be able to track usage per connected device - just details of amounts of data transferred per device not sites visited or anything like that. The Netgear can show how much data has been uploaded/downloaded in total but it can't seem to break it down further.

Second (possibly most important) I need to be able to restrict the times when certain devices can connect - hopefully so that my kids sleep at least sometimes! The Netgear can do this but its limited in that every device has to have the same schedule - whereas I really want to have a few schedules or even a schedule per device if I was being really picky.

I know I'm possibly asking for the impossible but if anyone can think of a device that fits the bill, I'd love to know.

Vince
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Aug-12 16:35:24
Print Post

Re: Router functionality

[re: vinnym70] [link to this post]

I would say your best chance would be running a PC with Linux as a firewall/proxy.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Aug-12 17:09:50
Print Post

You can install DD-WRT on your WRN1000 providing it is V1 or V3 (V2 is not listed as supported). DD-WRT provides per-device access restriction and scripts are available to provide per-user bandwidth monitoring. I haven't used DD-WRT but it exists and it's free. smile

There are plenty of other router firmware projects besides DD-WRT.

'Sir, please,' she said... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts

Edited by micksharpe (Mon 13-Aug-12 17:16:54)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(committed) Mon 13-Aug-12 20:08:45
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Draytek and Billion routers both provide access restriction by time for specified device.

Not convinced they do limits of data transferred though - the Billion 7800 certainly doesnt. The Daytek 2820 MAY do - it counts total data transferred from the WAN (which I havent found on the Billion) but I am not sure as to data counts by device. It MAY do - worth a check of the manual on the web site.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity, install date Friday 10th August!
Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Aug-12 21:49:04
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
The Daytek 2820 MAY do
If it does I've not found it.

It can monitor data transfered by port, which is a possible compromise, provided yo don't use a separate switch.

I'd go with micksharp's suggestion of dd-wrt (or even open-wrt) if the router is listed as supported.

happily chugging along on plusnet and Virginmedia (yes I am greedy)
My web server
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Aug-12 22:02:42
Print Post

If you decide to go down the third-party firmware route, it might be a good idea to buy a used (and supported) router rather than risk bricking the Netgear.

'Sir, please,' she said... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
  Print Thread

Jump to