Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User git
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Aug-12 17:45:42
Print Post

Old GPO socket, unused line

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm looking to rationalise the internal wiring in a flat that hasn't been significantly updated since the 60s. The line runs in to an old gpo 'lozenge'. Miles further down a maze of internal and external wiring there is a more recognisably modern socket, and a void where it appears there was a second socket.

I know that in modern terms the line belongs to BT up until the master socket, in this case I'm guessing that what comes out of the old gpo box is mine and everythin before that belongs to BT? This would mean that I can mount a more modern socket above it, and run a wire from one to the other?

Ideally I would like to modernise the wiring and ditch the 50 year old plastic retro-chic, leaving me with a single master in the same place that the lozenge shaped thingy is atm. The line is not currently in use (no line rental being payed), and I'd rather it stayed that way for now. Is there a way to do this that doesn't involve handing BT a week's rent for 30 seconds work?

TIA.
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Wed 15-Aug-12 18:58:50
Print Post

Re: Old GPO socket, unused line

[re: git] [link to this post]

Theoretically (and legally) you can't rearrange it yourself.

Practically Openreach NTE5 boxes (master sockets) are available for purchase
e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-telephone-socket-NTE5-a...

it's only a matter of popping the lid off the lozenge and removing it, then connecting two wires to the A and B connections at the very back of the new socket and screwing it to the wall. Or mount the new socket close to the lozenge and cut the internal facing cable from it down to the right length to connect to the new socket.

As long as you don't do something stupid such as connect the incoming cable to mains power then there's very little to go wrong.

Up to you smile

Edited by GeeTee (Wed 15-Aug-12 19:01:02)

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 15-Aug-12 19:23:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by git:
Ideally I would like to modernise the wiring and ditch the 50 year old plastic retro-chic, leaving me with a single master in the same place that the lozenge shaped thingy is atm.

Think I would certainly be inclined to leave the GPO lozenge thingy in place, fitting a NTE5 adjacent to it may or may not be permissible even though the line is not in use. If in the future the line is used and there is found to be a problem with the unauthorized NTE5 installation then there could be serious consequences frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 15-Aug-12 19:47:56
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I had this sort of problem. My line is with Sky. They recommended getting a local company to tidy up the wiring which they did from the 'lozenge thingy'. They fitted a new NTE5 socket. I am not sure of the legality of all this but I kept copies of the Sky email and the contractors invoice. The whole job was done professionally and my BB speed has increased from 3.5 to 6.2!

The cost was under £60 while I believe Openreach would have cost £100 to £180.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 15-Aug-12 20:35:26
Print Post

...This would mean that I can mount a more modern socket above it, and run a wire from one to the other?

Why keep the lozenge? It will not enhance an ADSL signal.
Replace the lozenge with a NTE5 + filtered faceplate combination. e.g. this (shop around - you may find a less expensive/more appropriate combination)
Choose an appropriate NTE5 (screw or IDC) for the incoming pair inside your premises.

N.B. Filters containing active components are more prone to failure. Choose wisely!
Standard User git
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Aug-12 20:43:52
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Thanks.

Surely if the NTE5 is my side of the lozenge I'm within my rights? I'm guessing the only realistic consequence is having to pay BT £130 to fit their little plastic box to my wall?
Standard User git
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Aug-12 20:45:55
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Why keep the lozenge? It will not enhance an ADSL
First off I want to check that the lozengeis the boundary between my wire and theres, and secondly its a consideration because it is quick, easy, and legal...
Standard User git
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Aug-12 20:50:31
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeeTee:
As long as you don't do something stupid such as connect the incoming cable to mains power then there's very little to go wrong.

Up to you smile

I'm going to be so carefully avoiding such an absurd action that thats exactly what I'll end up doing now....
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Wed 15-Aug-12 20:54:15
Print Post

I basically redid all of my internal wiring. I got BT to put a new box in when the new line was installed. Then I rewired the whole lot as it was hideous.

Ripped out every extension and moved the master where I wanted it. Used all official BT standard cables and if a BT guy came around (which he has) he would not have any idea that it wasn't genuine BT work.

When I had fibre installed he looked at my wiring, smiled and job done within around 15 mins. No questions or issues raised with my work.

If anything BT did a worse job when sorting the line out. They left the new master hanging mid air & taped the line together outside. Was a total mess. Also found out they left star wiring in at a later date.

Do everything by the book and to the letter & you'll be fine. Plus you can always say 'it came like this.'
There's not too many wires. It's a matter of same colour to same terminal etc.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 15-Aug-12 20:56:06)

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 15-Aug-12 23:38:36
Print Post

Miles further down a maze of internal and external wiring there is a more recognisably modern socket...

Is that a NTE5?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to