Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sylcol
(member) Sat 25-Aug-12 10:37:36
Print Post

New Router/Modem

[link to this post]

My wireless router is playing up and I am looking to replace it.

Am I correct in thinking that it would be wise to get something compatible with ipv6 at this point in time?

I find that some routers with good reviews are just that, i.e. they require a separate modem, does this mean that the modem must also be ipv6 enabled as well.

There are plenty of routers available but not many stand alone modems, it seems strange that makers are turning out routers that require a separate modem but not many offer modems on their own.

Finally, any views re. combination modem/routers verses separates would be welcome.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-Aug-12 10:55:47
Print Post

Re: New Router/Modem

[re: Sylcol] [link to this post]

Plenty of modem/routers around

Ethernet routers are advertised more because of their rising demand due to FTTC/P products, and their sale for over 10 years as being suitable for use with Virgin Media services.

One presumes you are looking for an ADSL2+ device, and what is the budget. Billion 7800N gives IPv6 and more expensive is the fritzbox 7390 (but many more features) . Both of these will work with ADSL/ADSL2+ and FTTC/P and the 7390 should work as a replacement even for the Openreach FTTC modem if you wanted.

Generally I recommend against standalone devices with ADSL and ADSL2+ services, as the modems are often less than ideal. The 7390 and a good number of other routers can operate in a mode that bypasses NAT for one machine (if you only have a single IP address from ISP)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sat 25-Aug-12 15:25:45
Print Post

I recently went from a Billion 7800N modem router to separate modem/router combo: Draytek 120 v2 ethernet modem + Linksys EA4500 router. Nothing wrong with the Billion but wanted simultaneous dual band wifi which the Billion can't do. The draytek + Linksys is a rock solid combo and everything runs smoothy. Other routers also highly rated are the Asus RT-N66U, Netgear N900. But definitely consider the Draytek 120 as its one of the best standalone modems out there.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 25-Aug-12 16:19:09
Print Post

My suggestion is the EnGenius ESR 9850, has high wan to lan throughout and is a solid family router, more than capable of keeping a whole families connection running.

It has around 800Mbits Wan to Lan throughput and only cost around £60 in comparison to some of the other in the same Wan to Lan range that cost well in excess of £200. The only downside is it isn't pretty, its plain white with blue lights, but i don't need pretty i need functionality.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 25-Aug-12 16:21:37
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

2.4GHz, Ralink-based 802.11n router with WDS bridging / repeating, very fast routing and up and download bandwidth control. Not Wi-Fi Certified

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 25-Aug-12 18:00:10
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

i got a 50 quid Draytek 2820n on gumtree, having previously owned Netgear 1000 (total [censored]), D-Link 2860 and TP-LINK 8960, which was not too bad. Watch out though as TP-LINK 8960 V4 doesn't have a Broadcom chipset but Trend. All in all, the Draytek has been fab, the best of them all!
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Sun 26-Aug-12 07:41:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
One presumes you are looking for an ADSL2+ device, and what is the budget. Billion 7800N gives IPv6 and more expensive is the fritzbox 7390 (but many more features) . Both of these will work with ADSL/ADSL2+ and FTTC/P and the 7390 should work as a replacement even for the Openreach FTTC modem if you wanted.

7390 definitely can replace the modem as well, I use one here and providing you can afford it I would thoroughly recommend buying one to replace the HH3 and modem

Bob
BT Home Highway+CIX -> Nildram until Pipex -> SKY -> Be*Unlimited ->BT Infinity WRBRIX
Down:76205kbs Up: 15143kbs
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=13354...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Aug-12 12:53:29
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

The RT-N66U is pretty good, have some reservations with the speed of the web interface, but throughput of 600Mbps from WAN to LAN.

Wireless best I've got is 140 Mbps when in the same room, which is pretty impressive for wireless.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Sylcol
(member) Sun 26-Aug-12 15:28:09
Print Post

Thank you for all the replies. It is interesting that most of the suggestions are devices that I have considered myself before posting.

The billion was near the top of my list, also the RT-N66U but that would require a separate modem. The Draytek may fit the bill but notice MrSaffron does not like separates.

Fritzbox and Draytek are excellent but I am not sure if I want to spend that much because I do not need a lot of the features that they offer.

Only one mention of ipv6, do others not think this is important at this time?

Not heard of the EnGenius before.

No sign of FTTC in my area as yet.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Aug-12 15:38:30
Print Post

If I was spending £150 on a modem/router now would look for IPv6 support, but if on a tight budget I'd go with the ipv4 for another couple of years

Print Thread

Jump to