Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kyber
(newbie) Tue 11-Sep-12 14:53:08
Print Post

BT master voice -> patch panel -> multiple ext over cat 5 ?

[link to this post]

I need your help, please.

Just upgraded to FTTC. Have BT Openreach Modem next to master socket in the entrance hall of the house. With BT subsidiary Plusnet and very happy with speed.

Using my own wifi router (supports both ADSL+ and PPoE WAN connection.)

I want to relocate away from the master socket my wifi router and my DECT base station / answer phone. I have Cat5 flood wiring and a 19" rack with patch panels and switches in utility room. Happy to leave the BT Openreach modem wall mounted by the master socket.

Need help on connecting up several extensions to the master voice line presented at one patch panel point. One of the phone points will host the DECT base / answer phone (actually, a Truecall system and separate DEC base). I need two more phone points to reach places well beyond the reach of the DECT system. As I have Cat5 to those locations, I am hoping to use those runs to support additional extensions.

I think I can see how to present just one phone point by going:

BT master voice IDC pins - cable - RJ45 plug -> RJ45 socket A
over Cat5 to patch panel point A -> patch lead -> patch panel point B
over Cat5 to RJ45 socket B -> RJ45 PABX telephone adaptor -> Phone

How do I set things up so that from patch panel point A, I can feed several telephone extensions i.e. point C, D?

Is it just a case of parallel connections from patch point A to several other patch points/ Effectively a patch lead that is 1 to 3? Are standard telephone extensions just wired in parallel (meaning it is just the cable and plugs that are a bit different here)?

TIA
Standard User kyber
(newbie) Tue 11-Sep-12 17:43:25
Print Post

Re: BT master voice -> patch panel -> multiple ext over cat

[re: kyber] [link to this post]

I'm thinking of just finding three ports together on the patch panel and running the voice pair from the master socket feed across all three and punching down and then driving the extensions of each socket patched to their corresponding patch panel sockets.

Alternatively, I could wire up a 66 punch down block, but these seem surprisingly expensive to get hold of (I could get another 24 port panel for the same)
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 11-Sep-12 22:06:24
Print Post

[re: kyber] [link to this post]

Get some in-line Cat5e punch down connector/junctions blocks. They have two strips of 8 IDCs connected together. Each IDC can take 2 wires so, with one to bring the feed in, you can serve 3 outlets.

http://www.comms-express.com/products/cat5e-utp-junc...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kyber
(newbie) Wed 12-Sep-12 16:53:24
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Interesting idea, but then wouldn't I be best just feeding those 3 extension sets into the back of the patch panel to provide three corresponding RJ45 sockets to patch to? In which case,I might as well leave out the mini joint and stretch over three sets of IDCs on the patch panel anyway?

Not disagreeing, just testing out the options. Appreciate your suggestion.
  Print Thread

Jump to