Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bill_Lord
(member) Thu 13-Sep-12 15:00:42
Print Post

Home plugs

[link to this post]

I would like to improve the wireless availability in some parts of the house, particularly in the living room. At the moment I have the router connected network socket in the back room that is connected to the main socket in the living room, because the wireless from the back room through the house to parts of the living room is non existant the router is on through a wall from the network socket and gives good wifi in the back room and poor but acceptable wifi in the living room and a signal that is just about there in the other room we use.
I wondered if I moved the router to the main socket which solves the wifi problem to the two rooms on the front of the house we use, and then bought an AV500 home plug for the living room and an AV200 wireless home hub for the back room ( I can not find an AV500 wireless home plug ) whether this would be likely to work and whether I would get improved signals?

What is the general opinion of Home Plugs, how do Home plugs work with BT infinity which has just become available for me?

Bill Lord
I've taken a vow of poverty, to annoy me send money
Standard User sandacol
(newbie) Thu 13-Sep-12 16:09:01
Print Post

Re: Home plugs

[re: Bill_Lord] [link to this post]

I have 4 TP-Link TL-PA211 adapters (AV200).
1 connected to the router (in the loft) , 1 to a PC (ground floor front), 1 to an Xbox (ground floor front), 1 to Sky (ground floor back).
Frankly, all but Sky could be OK on wireless, but the sync is better with these.
All work fine - generally syncing at around 100 Mbps.
I chose the TP-Link purely on price - £29 a pair from Amazon. I got 2 and found them OK, so got some more.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Thu 13-Sep-12 16:45:27
Print Post

Take a look at this post...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Sep-12 19:34:55
Print Post

If Infinity go for AV 500 units to push the speed around

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/70-de...

Has comparisons to same manufacturers AV 200 units.

You can plug a wireless access point into the Home Plug, and would be my preferred method of doing things. Though for my own lounge I ran external Cat5 down outside of property 5 years ago.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bill_Lord
(member) Thu 13-Sep-12 23:26:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If Infinity go for AV 500 units to push the speed around

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/70-de...

Has comparisons to same manufacturers AV 200 units.

You can plug a wireless access point into the Home Plug, and would be my preferred method of doing things. Though for my own lounge I ran external Cat5 down outside of property 5 years ago.

I have a cat5 cable from the lounge to my study, what equipment would I need as a wireless access point, I would welcome suggestions.

Bill Lord
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Sep-12 09:36:59
Print Post

Maybe http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002YETVVE/ref=asc_df_B00...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bill_Lord
(member) Fri 14-Sep-12 11:32:51
Print Post

Maybe http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002YETVVE/ref=asc_df_B00...

So looking at that could I use a spare modem router to do the same job, I have a netgear dgn1000 router in my drawer, would this do the job? Is there anything I would have to do to make it work or could I just plug my primary router to the Bt socket, the cat5 cable to the primary router, the netgear dg1000 to the socket and then the netgear to my desktop and wireless for everything else in the back room?

Bill Lord
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Sep-12 11:48:52
Print Post

If you disable DHCP on the router, and ensure its IP address does not clash with existing network, then yes you can do that.

You get an access point, and 1 of the four switch ports is used to connect to network, giving you a 3 port ethernet switch too.

Standard User Bill_Lord
(member) Fri 14-Sep-12 17:04:58
Print Post

If you disable DHCP on the router, and ensure its IP address does not clash with existing network, then yes you can do that.

You get an access point, and 1 of the four switch ports is used to connect to network, giving you a 3 port ethernet switch too.

I have a problem. If I connect the netgear router to the primary router in the way you suggest. Without moving anything the system works but as soon as I move the primary router to the bt socket and connect the netgear router to the primary router through the cat5 cable it does not work. So my cat5 cable was provided by BT and has a plug on one end that fits directly into the BT filtered faceplate and terminates in a BT socket in he back room, from there I have always used the phone cable that comes with a router to plug into the socket and then to the input socket on the router. The simple question would be is the cable wired correctly? Ie are the pin assignments on the modem cable the same as the pin assignments on the network cables, if they are then I will have to have another think, if they are not then I have yet another job to do.

Bill Lord
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Sep-12 17:45:04
Print Post

The BT installed cat5 cable is NOT wired for carrying ethernet data, it is only meant to carry VDSL data from telephone line to openreach modem.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to