Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User simonlea
(newbie) Mon 17-Sep-12 14:05:55
Print Post

Bridge?

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,
I've recently built an outhouse in my garden and had a phone line installed.
I realised too late that as all I require is broadband in the outhouse its a cat 5 (ethernet) cable not phone that I needed.
Any way, I've found just moving the router/modem into the outhouse when I need a connection is fine. So.... I bought another modem thinking I'll just turn one off and the other on when needed in the appropriate room.
However, the modem I have bought stupidly is BEBOX and not PLUSNET its a Thomson TG585 v7.
Is there any easy configuring to make this modem work with PLUSNET or have I totally f**ked it once again.
Thanks in advance for your time.
Simon
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 17-Sep-12 14:21:15
Print Post

Thomson TG585 v7 BeBox on Plusnet ?

[re: simonlea] [link to this post]

Changed the subject line to what I think is your question

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User simonlea
(newbie) Mon 17-Sep-12 14:56:49
Print Post

Re: Thomson TG585 v7 BeBox on Plusnet ?

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Haha, yeh good point, you're quite right of course, thanks.
S

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 17-Sep-12 15:30:03
Print Post

Re: Thomson TG585 v7 BeBox on Plusnet ?

What sort of plusnet package are you on? If on ADSL Max there is some O2 firmware which you can load.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 17-Sep-12 15:33:56
Print Post

Re: Bridge?

You could disconenct the phone line and use the phone cable as your cat5. You don't actually need cat5 grade cable, nor do you need all the pairs connected, you could easily get a 100mbit half duplex link running over it, just need to check which pairs to connect. There should be a diagram somewhere, or just cut a cat 5 cable open and twist pairs until it links (do it on a old switch in case you short something!).
Standard User AndoMike
(newbie) Mon 17-Sep-12 15:58:52
Print Post

Depending on what your connection is, I wouldn't advise disconnecting your modem and moving it very often, as it will drop sync and might react to it as a fault and maybe lower your profile if your on a MAX connection for example. I don't know if that affects adsl2 or not.

For the above comment on the using the phone line, its pins 1,2,3 and 6, ie the green and orange pairs. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable <- note thats a cross over, wikipedia seems to tihnk straight dosn't need showing. Most PC's and switches are auto cross anyway, so either do it both ends the same (PC to a switch) or one of each (switch to switch).
Standard User simonlea
(newbie) Mon 17-Sep-12 17:43:01
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
What sort of plusnet package are you on? If on ADSL Max there is some O2 firmware which you can load.

Just the basic plusnet package i think.

Edited by simonlea (Mon 17-Sep-12 18:23:31)

Standard User simonlea
(newbie) Mon 17-Sep-12 17:45:43
Print Post

[re: AndoMike] [link to this post]

I'm just after internet in the out building without running another cable, any ideas gratefully received.
S
Standard User jamie543
(newbie) Mon 17-Sep-12 19:07:32
Print Post

How far is the main building to the outbuilding?
Standard User Gandalf
(committed) Tue 18-Sep-12 08:42:16
Print Post

If the phone line is in trunking or ducting then why not tie, tape or connect a cat5/6 cable to the end of the phone cable and pull the new cable through to the outbuilding.

Of course, only works if it's all in nice, fairly straight ducting smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to