Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User spud3607
(newbie) Mon 08-Oct-12 15:26:58
Print Post

wifi usb antenna

[link to this post]

Hi I have a desktop in a holiday cottage in Scotland. If I connect a USB WiFi dongle via a cable and hang it out the window I can get a very weak BT WiFi signal, not enough to connect properly.
My question is do "WiFi USB antenna" work better than a dongle( I.E. pick up a stronger signal), and which are the best one's.
I have BT infinity at home in Manchester and can therefore tap into bt WiFi when in Scotland, because the signal in Scotland is from someone else s router boosting the transmission strength is not an option.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 08-Oct-12 17:43:38
Print Post

Re: wifi usb antenna

[re: spud3607] [link to this post]

It is not so much the usb component but the fact you can attach a better gain antenna that helps, and by using USB in the connector you avoid the old problem of an expensive cable and the signal loss in it.

WiFi USB dongles tend to be OK but obviously have a very small antenna in them

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User indigobanana
(learned) Mon 08-Oct-12 18:29:19
Print Post

Alfa AWUS036H USB Wifi Adapter. It is incredible adapter! I have used on of these beauties before and picked up networks that I didn't know existed - I have heard of people who have managed to pick up standard wifi signals over 1 mile away (Clear LOS of course). Also, the antenna is upgradable as well, if you should ever need to boost the signal further.

My Broadband Speed Test

Currently with TalkTalk, transferring to PlusNet next week!
20CN ADSL Max frown
I live in hope...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 08-Oct-12 19:00:16
Print Post

[re: indigobanana] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by indigobanana:
Alfa AWUS036H USB Wifi Adapter. It is incredible adapter! I have used on of these beauties before and picked up networks that I didn't know existed - I have heard of people who have managed to pick up standard wifi signals over 1 mile away (Clear LOS of course). Also, the antenna is upgradable as well, if you should ever need to boost the signal further.

i second this i used to have one of these (trod on it snapped the end clean off lol) i used to pick 60 unique wifis up with it were as my standard dlink wireless N dongle picks mine and 2 others up, We also bridged 2 together (mine and borrowed a friends) about 160 Meters apart (with loads of other building in between) with a 60%+ signal and about 48meg out of the 54.

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 70000/23828 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package 588M from the cab 6dB snr 22Aten

Edited by acpsd775 (Mon 08-Oct-12 19:06:24)

Standard User spud3607
(newbie) Mon 08-Oct-12 23:12:19
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the prompt replies.
I will purchase an "alfa". Sadly I wont be back in Scotland until xmas to try it.
Based on your glowing reports I have total faith.
Once again thanks.

Isn't the internet wonderful! Fast answers to vexing questions.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 08-Oct-12 23:27:07
Print Post

Have a look for directional antennas and see if you can locate the source of the BT hotspot. Then ensure the antenna is pointed appropriately towards the signal.

A separate antenna may allow you to place it outside but if you have a long coax lead then you will get losses in that and reduce any benefits. Using a long USB cable is preferable to keep the card close to the antenna with a short lead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to