Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 16-Oct-12 21:24:18
Print Post

Double Wireless Setup

[link to this post]

Hi,

I just discovered that using my BT Master socket for my O2 router results in more than twice as fast broadband compared to the old slave socket in an office I had been using. Thus I would like to move my O2 Wireless Box to the master socket permanently. However my network is mostly wired and contained within the office and running a cable to the router is not feasible.

Therefore I would like some way to wirelessly connect the O2 box at the master socket to another wireless device in my office which would then be connected using Ethernet to a NAS, 2 PCs and a Homeplug switch. None of these 3 machines currently have Wireless and I want to keep the wired connection between them. The other end of the Homeplug setup is in the living room with a Playstation and a smart TV.

As well as my O2 Wireless Box 2 I also have an unused Wireless Box 5 - could these be used to acheive what I need?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Oct-12 21:27:13
Print Post

Re: Double Wireless Setup

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

A wireless bridge e.g. this http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/74-as... in ethernet adapter mode would work for you. Other devices can do the same thing, but was impressed by the Asus after the problems I used to have when trying out bridge devices a few years ago.

Why not just use another HomePlug?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 16-Oct-12 21:31:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Homeplug...tbh this was a case of not seeing the trees for the forest. Currently I have no power socket near where I will be moving the router too and thus I had overlooked that possibility. Obviously I will need at least one socket installed for the router and as you say, I could then add another Homeplug! Doh!

Thanks for the reply.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Moto
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Oct-12 09:20:06
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Maybe just removing the bell wire at the master and slave phone sockets will improve the performance and make any change unnecessary.

laugh A friend surfing in laugh
  Print Thread

Jump to