Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DerbyshireChris
(newbie) Mon 05-Nov-12 11:45:39
Print Post

TG582n - Bridge on 1 static IP

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm thinking of signing up with John Lewis broadband and I believe they supply the TG582n routers. I prefer to handle my own routing and firewall and therefore want the device to act like a modem and just pass the static IP directly to my linux machine that handles firewall and routing tasks. I'm currently with Be and I have this set up and working very well, but I know they use a differing technology to the rest of the broadband people. I'd like to stay with Be but unfortunately I'm moving house to an exchange where they don't operate.

I think what I'm after is called PPPoA half bridge mode? Does anyone know if this is possible on this router? If not, can anyone recommend a router where this feature works well? I'd prefer if the device can handle the authentication rather than my linux server initiating the ppp connection.

Looking forward to reading your advice!

Chris
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Nov-12 12:19:36
Print Post

Re: TG582n - Bridge on 1 static IP

[re: DerbyshireChris] [link to this post]

Instructions should be similar/the same... as this> http://www.roysindre.no/a/2010/11/30/speedtouch-bridge/

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
(newbie) Mon 05-Nov-12 12:40:53
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm a little confused with all the mentions of pppoE in that link and there is no config for the user name and password that will be required. I'm assuming that in that article the router behind the device is making the ppp connection?

Chris.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Mon 05-Nov-12 14:09:17
Print Post

Coincidentally I am with John Lewis and have been researching this today!

Found the following links which may be of further use to Matt's post.

Link 1
Link 2

If they don't work then the Draytek Vigor 120 is a pure ADSL modem which will let you use PPPoE on your firewall.. Not cheap though.
(newbie) Mon 05-Nov-12 14:49:27
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

I think I understand these posts.

All of them seem to require that the device behind (linux server in my case) do the pppoE connection.

Is it OK to do pppoE in this case? Does it not have to be a pppoA? Many moons ago I used to have an alcatel adsl modem (the usb green 'frog' modem when ADSL was new) and I used that with a linux server, but I had to patch and recompile ppp to be able to use pppoA. I'd rather avoid this.

I'd much prefer that the first device (the tg582n in this case) do the auth for me and just supply me with an ethernet connection. I'm assuming it's not capable of doing this? Or if it is, others aren't doing it.

If it's not capable, I'm quite willing to buy a new box that will do it.

If you get it working on your John Lewis link, please keep in touch!!!!

P.S. How do you find the John Lewis service? Are they worth the premium they're charging?

Chris.

Edited by DerbyshireChris (Mon 05-Nov-12 14:50:45)

Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Mon 05-Nov-12 15:40:43
Print Post

An alternative re the TG582N so that it will handle the authentication for you is to assign the external IP to a LAN client and also assign a DMZ to that client. This should ensure all unsolicited traffic is passed to your firewall so VPN or any servers you have will be able to receive incoming requests.

This seemed to work well for me until I had to reboot the modem at which point it lost all of that config!

Re PPPoE authentication I've tried this with no problem with a different modem. The TG582 gets a better sync though hence why I want to see if I can get the bridge working.

If I get time tonight I'll try out one of the methods in my links and let you know what happens.

I'll assume you are talking about the unlimited ADSL product?
The service has been great so far. Traffic falls into the Plusnet Gold and Titanium queues so you shouldn't see much if any deliberate slowdown of your traffic. Can't say I have seen any.

When you say premium I guess you are comparing to Sky/TalkTalk as they are also unlimited?
For me it is worth the extra for access to the great support I have had. On the one occasion I wasn't happy with a reply it got escalated to a senior team member who went out of his way to provide feedback beyond the network problem I had.

Having said that if you use less than 60GB you may be better off with the Plusnet Extra with pro add on package which could be a bit cheaper and has more traffic assigned to Titanium.

For the extra couple of quid though you have the stress free internet experience that unlimited brings smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 05-Nov-12 19:05:09
Print Post

Things have moved on, and BT Wholesale takes both PPPoA and PPPoE connections now

John Lewis just a rebadged Plusnet service

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Mon 05-Nov-12 22:31:52
Print Post

Well I got it to work cool

I've updated the thread here as I had to change the order of some of the commands.

Once the CLI commands were done there was nothing further to change in the web config.

Seems OK so far.
  Print Thread

Jump to