Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User PendlebG
(newbie) Thu 08-Nov-12 15:04:36
Print Post

Virgin + Sky Box + Wirless Network Set-up

[link to this post]

I am after information as to the equipment I need to correctly set-up my broadband/network.

Currently, I have Virgin coming into the front of my house (directly behind my TV), I then have cable running through this room and into the kitchen then connecting into the cable modem and then straight into wi-fi router (both Virgin supply).

What I am wanting to do is move the modem into front room (behind TV), then from the modem have a feed into Sky box and second then going out to the wi-fi in the kitchen.

So, my question is do I need a switch Or another router? (both Sky and wi-fi will be in use together).
P.S Moving wi-fi not option as in central location so can pick up all around home and back garden.

Thanks,
Standard User Backpack
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Nov-12 17:31:13
Print Post

Re: Virgin + Sky Box + Wirless Network Set-up

[re: PendlebG] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PendlebG:
P.S Moving wi-fi not option as in central location so can pick up all around home and back garden.

Thanks,

You will need to run a network cable from one of the LAN ports on the router to the Sky box, so either the router needs to move or a 2nd cable will have to be installed, or you can use homeplugs or wireless to get the network connection back to the Sky box.

Or you can move the router and install another wireless access point to provide central wifi.
Standard User PendlebG
(newbie) Wed 14-Nov-12 08:13:15
Print Post

[re: Backpack] [link to this post]

Thanks, for a reply.

So, I either need 2nd wifi router or just another (non wifi) router. Right?

Would not a Ethernet Switch work?
(modem into switch, then cable out to sky and wifi router?)

Edited by PendlebG (Wed 14-Nov-12 08:14:56)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Nov-12 09:37:09
Print Post

[re: PendlebG] [link to this post]

No to the ethernet switch

Cable modems are designed to only drive a single IP device, this would be the Virgin Media wifi router.

The superhub which is modem and router in one box would do what you want, but lots of people have problems with that.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to