Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User FarmerGilesUK
(regular) Tue 20-Nov-12 15:45:29
Print Post

3 Dwellings sharing satellite internet connection (how?)

[link to this post]

Hi all

Out here in the sticks using a 1Mbps on a good day dsl is getting beyond a joke.

Myself and 2/3 neighbours have started to consider whether we might be able to share a 16/6 Mbps satellite internet connection.

In general terms I guess one of us gets the satellite dish and router installed, plugs the new connection into an access point with a BIG (15db gain) antenna plugged into it and away we go. We've looked at toowaybroadband.co.uk for an idea of pricing for the satellite connection.

If anyone has done this successfully it'd be great if you could share you experiences.

Some detail on the exact kit required and any more technical info would also be a big help.

I'm an ex IT manager so have some technical know how but obviously haven't done this type of project before.

Distances between the 3 properties are no more than 300-400 metres. I'm aware of the latency issues with satellite but doubt this will be an issue for general browsing etc.

Regards

Jon
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 20-Nov-12 16:06:35
Print Post

Re: 3 Dwellings sharing satellite internet connection (how?)

[re: FarmerGilesUK] [link to this post]

I have done a small consultancy project for someone in your situation where there could only get slow speed access on their terrestrial link.

On investigation we found that their land ran very close to the telephone network in a place which would cut a significant amount of line length off, reduce attenuation and thus increase speeds.

Have you looked to see if this is possible for one or all of you?

How we then got the connection back to the farm was the key to keeping costs down and I could give you some suggestions in a PM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(regular) Tue 20-Nov-12 16:18:39
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Unfortunately we're nowhere near a decently short line to an exchange or telephone lines going to another, nearer exchange. Both local exchanges are about 7km from us. Line attenuation is showing to be about 64.8dB.

Please pm me re: your connection back to the farm.

Thanks for the reply.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Nov-12 16:21:35
Print Post

Considered a 3G solution??

Three or EE most probably your best bets.

-

Xilo.net Office 21CN
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Nov-12 17:04:34
Print Post

Take a look at http://www.solwise.co.uk/networkingwireless-outdoor.htm and you may be able to talk to them about most suitable kit.

The key is whether each property can a centrally located external antenna. If you end up with 2.4GHz then if anyone runs a wireless router inside their property too, you will want to test to make sure the wireless does not interfere.

While satellite is fine for stuff like our forums, if you are using pages that do things like update elements dynamically without refreshing the whole page the latency can get very frustrating. For example I helped someone setup an e-shop and it was a case of let a page settle down, before clicking elements multiple times by mistake.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Tue 20-Nov-12 18:10:06
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

3Gs a no go. Already tried that and no signal here from any of the 3G providers frown
(regular) Tue 20-Nov-12 18:21:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think I get where you're coming from. I can see that being irritating.

Thanks for the link. I will talk to them I think.
Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Tue 20-Nov-12 21:20:45
Print Post

Yes you'll want clear line of sight between the "internet connected" house and each of the others.

5GHz (a/n) is usually better for the outdoor links between buildings as long as there are no trees / branches in the path so choose your mounting locations carefully.

To link 3 buildings, you will need 3 or 4 radios depending on layout. If A has internet:

C << A >> B
needs 2 radios at A (or an omni but these pick up more interference than a directional antenna)

A >> B
A >>>>>> C

might only need 1 radio at A (if B does not block the path to C)

These will work well and at 300m you won't need anything like their maximum power:
NanoStation M5
http://www.4gon.co.uk/ubiquiti-nanostation-m5-mimo-p...

If you can find the smaller Loco M5 somewhere in stock, they are a little cheaper but otherwise the same innards
(just a slightly wider beam pattern which won't be a problem at your quoted distances.

They have MIMO data rates up to MCS15 (300Mbps over-the-air signalling rate - real IP throughput up to 150Mpbs half duplex (i.e. like 90/60 or 75/75). Try to create your links with signal to noise ratio of 20dB or better. On ours we tend to aim for MCS 12 at a minimum.

If you have line of sight and you make good links they won't add noticably to sat latency - maybe a few ms at most.

In a standard setup these will form a transparent (layer 2) link so you treat them much like long ethernet cables once up and running - i.e. they can be used to extend a LAN across buildings.
But in their web GUIs you have additional options such as for client isolation, adding firewall rules or traffic shaping or run one or more as routers (as opposed to bridging). Linux kernel - so as well as the GUI you can SSH into them or customise the config further,

Power wise they use at most 12W (maybe at boot up) and falling to around 8W or less in normal use).

Being outdoor radios these are weatherproof (come with PoE bricks so supplied from inside each house)
as with most outdoor units they should be mounted vertically with cable emerging at bottom, and a drip loop if the cable rises above the base of the unit before it enters the house. They can be painted for aesthetics (but cover holes before spraying!).

Indoors for device access you can continue use standard wireless (if routers, ethernet / cable type rather than ADSL)

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on n e w n e t: ADSL2+ / 21CN at 3.5Mbps / 800kbps

Edited by prlzx (Tue 20-Nov-12 21:38:32)

Print Thread

Jump to