Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User m7ohn
(newbie) Thu 29-Nov-12 09:54:28
Print Post

Extending wireless network to next door.

[link to this post]

Hello,
I've just joined the forum and am hoping for some advise on my current network set up.
I live in a terraced house and in my home i have a wireless network via a Netgear N300 DGN2200 modem router(300Mbps). A recent broadband speed test showed me 10Mb/s download speed / 0.8Mb/s upload.
I own the property next door to me which i rent out. I was thinking of offering the next door neighbour / tenant free Wi-Fi from my wireless network to save them from getting a BT phone line installed.
I can easily run an ethernet cable through the party wall.
I was wandering the best way of going about doing it?
I also have an old unused Netgear DG834G wireless modem router which i was thinking could be used as a access point in the next door house.
Thank you for any advise.
Marcus
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 29-Nov-12 10:07:21
Print Post

Re: Extending wireless network to next door.

[re: m7ohn] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by m7ohn:
I can easily run an ethernet cable through the party wall.
I wouldn't recommend that.

The mains supplies to the two properties are likely to be on different phases, and in the event of an equipment fault there could be some highly dangerous voltages floating about. At either end!

Unless the wall is too thick, I'd suggest simply putting a WAP close to an agreed position next to the party wall and let them pick it up. The signal strength won't be ideal, but if it's free...

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(regular) Thu 29-Nov-12 11:05:30
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Morning Bill

Generally I agree with your comments; but I suggest that he should use a partitioned router, like the BT and EE/Orange Bright Box, so that the tenant is unable to access his router admin and any network in the landlord's house?

That should allow the landlord to control the amount of the BB used by the tenant.

Also, are there any legal implications, such as mis-use, sites accessed etc?

Who would be responsible?

Just thought, could that aspect apply to BT FON and similar?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 29-Nov-12 11:30:06
Print Post

There should be no problem. The Ethernet signals are isolated from mains voltages. Just think about any office ... different parts of the same room can be on different phases and they are all connected to the same network; in a server room with all the switches and patch panels , all phases will be in use.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 29-Nov-12 11:37:59
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

I was just thinking of the safety aspect, your other questions are outside what few fields of expertise I still possess tongue

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 29-Nov-12 11:42:11
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Offices tend to have maintenance, safety and inspection programmes/schedules, and don't have domestic hazards like inquisitive children and vases of flowers filled with water... also, note that I specified equipment faults- domestic or office, under those conditions all bets are off.

Bill
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 29-Nov-12 11:52:43
Print Post

We could discuss this one all day ... FIET > MIET !

One solution.

Putting the WAP close to the wall may not work especially on old cottages. So, get a new WAP with an external antenna; install the WAP in the OPs house and then feed an antenna cable through to the adjoining property. the tenant can then move it around and re-orientate it for best coverage.

M H C

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 29-Nov-12 11:58:21
Print Post

Yes I covered that- I also said "Unless the wall is too thick...".

And the OP said he lived in a terraced house, which is unlikely to be an old cottage.

Bill

Edited by billford (Thu 29-Nov-12 12:00:04)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 29-Nov-12 12:06:58
Print Post

Where I was brought up, terraced house equates to a cottage ...

My Grandparents lived in "Hut Cottages" which was a row of terraced houses. Friends currently live in "1 Barracks Cottage" which comprised 12 dwellings in a 2 dimesional terrace - six along with only a front with the back also being the back of the other six and other friends live in "Ladyeplace Cottages" again a terrace.

M H C

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 29-Nov-12 12:14:03
Print Post

Just because something has "cottage" in its address doesn't mean it is one.

Same applies to "palace" tongue

eta- you live in London, how about Swiss Cottage? wink

Bill

Edited by billford (Thu 29-Nov-12 12:19:15)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to