Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Addnan
(learned) Fri 07-Dec-12 17:42:04
Print Post

Wireless extension?

[link to this post]

Just got BT Infinity installed at a new house. Speeds are great, but the wireless does not reach areas I need it to.

I have been looking at power line adapters. Are there power line adapters that have wireless access and ethernet as I am looking to connect a desktop and couple of ipads.

I also have a spare DG834GT. I read somewhere that you can get it setup as an access point, but when I connect it to my PC or laptop it just shows that it couldn't connect to the network and so I have not been able to access the router through 192.168.0.1 to change the settings. Tried changing ip

Any advice would be appreciated.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 07-Dec-12 22:37:55
Print Post

Re: Wireless extension?

[re: Addnan] [link to this post]

My preference would be a wired Ethernet connection from existing router to the remote router or WAP.

To check the DG834GT's IP address use IPCNFIG in a CMD window.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Dec-12 01:47:47
Print Post

[re: Addnan] [link to this post]

Don't use the GT. It's restricted to wireless G speeds generally. You want N at a minimum

Get homeplugs and a bog standard N router.
Plug one homeplug into the main router.

Plug the 2nd homeplug in the poor signal areas. Plug this homeplug into a 2nd router.
Don't connect via the WAN port - connect via a standard ethernet port.
Turn off DHCP on the 2nd router...
Bang, bobs your uncle.

You can use all of the spare router ethernet ports now too!!

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 08-Dec-12 01:51:21)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Dec-12 13:53:59
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

IPCONFIG

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User eckiedoo
(regular) Sat 08-Dec-12 15:36:21
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I have no experience of home hubs; but I am aware that they are affected if used on mains extensions, different phases etc; and that apparently the electricity meters seem to operate as blocking filters.

Do you know if RCD sockets and similar circuit breakers have any attenuating effect onthe mains side?

Many years back, my brother and I used a mains--connected intercom system - and we could pick this up on the lamp posts in the street.
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Dec-12 18:48:00
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

With homeplug 200 devices I get 18M down. I am hoping santa will bring homeplug 500 devices, which I hope will get me around the 40M mark.

IanD
  Print Thread

Jump to