Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User lawmate
(newbie) Tue 11-Dec-12 17:13:45
Print Post

Setting up WDS on a new router

[link to this post]

Hi all
I have just upgraded the service I have with Orange and they have sent me a new router. I originally had a Siemens SE572 and I now have a Bright Box.
In the Siemens router settings, I can enable WDS mode, but I can't seem to pick up the other router. Does anyone know if I have to enable WDS on the Bright box router as well?
This is when I connect to the Bright Box wirelessly and to the Siemens via a LAN cable. If I connect both wirelessly, I cannot connect to the Brightbox router settings as they both are accessed via 192.168.1.1
I have the Bright box connected to the broadband and want to use the old Siemens router as a repeater to reach the far end of the house.
If anyone knows if this is or isn't possible, I'd love to know.
Thanks for your time
Lawmate
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 11-Dec-12 17:36:30
Print Post

Re: Setting up WDS on a new router

[re: lawmate] [link to this post]

to use WDS it will need to be enabled on both units, they need to be given the wireless MAC address of each other, be on the same wireless channel and have different IP addresses.

WDS often requires the same or similar chipsets to work and start with wireless security off.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Dec-12 11:20:15
Print Post

Re: Setting up WDS on a new router

[re: lawmate] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lawmate:
Hi all
I have just upgraded the service I have with Orange and they have sent me a new router. I originally had a Siemens SE572 and I now have a Bright Box.
In the Siemens router settings, I can enable WDS mode, but I can't seem to pick up the other router. Does anyone know if I have to enable WDS on the Bright box router as well?
This is when I connect to the Bright Box wirelessly and to the Siemens via a LAN cable. If I connect both wirelessly, I cannot connect to the Brightbox router settings as they both are accessed via 192.168.1.1
I have the Bright box connected to the broadband and want to use the old Siemens router as a repeater to reach the far end of the house.
If anyone knows if this is or isn't possible, I'd love to know.
Thanks for your time
Lawmate

You are trying to use the Siemens SE572 router as a wireless repeater, it will not work!

You can use the Siemens router as a wireless access point connected via Ethernet cable to the Bright Box router LAN port to LAN port. wink

http://www.tested.com/tech/298-how-to-use-an-old-rou...

Or you can connect the Siemens router to the Bright Box router with power-line home plugs. wink

Watch the video http://www.devolo.com/consumer/dlan-mains-supply-net...

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?...

In reply to a post by lawmate:
I cannot connect to the Brightbox router settings as they both are accessed via 192.168.1.1

Easy, within the Siemens router change the IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2

My Broadband Speed Test
EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Wed 12-Dec-12 14:22:38)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to