Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Herstmonceux
(member) Sat 22-Dec-12 19:35:22
Print Post

Using external hostname on local network

[link to this post]

I have a static IP and I'm using it for accessing my local server over the mobile data network. I sometimes also use my wifi network to access the local server via it's IP address. What I would like is to be able to use my hostname to point to my web server on my local network. The problem is that at the moment on my local network my hostname just points me to my broadband router. My router is a Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H. This needs to be a network solution (not just on one PC) as I access my network from several different devices including smart phones.

Thanks!
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Sat 22-Dec-12 19:51:18
Print Post

Re: Using external hostname on local network

[re: Herstmonceux] [link to this post]

So you want to point www.mydomain.co.uk to your static IP of 123.123.123.123 ?

If you own the domain do you have anyone hosting it?

If you have someyhing like an email hosting then you need to have forwarding set so that web traffic is forwarded to 123.123.123.123.

If you dont have any hosting then yiu could use DDNS so that the DDNS provider (www.noip.com or similar) forwards the web traffic to 123.123.123.123.

Since it is a static IP address you do not need to run a DDNS client on your router.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
(member) Sat 22-Dec-12 19:56:10
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Sorry perhaps I should clarify, I have an existing hostname provided by my ISP which I am using to access my local server. I want to use that hostname within my local network.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Dec-12 19:58:32
Print Post

You really need a router that supports loopback.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
(member) Sat 22-Dec-12 20:18:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

That's probably the key word I'm looking for, I just need to work out how to do that on my router, thanks.

Edited by Herstmonceux (Sat 22-Dec-12 20:53:36)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Dec-12 20:20:28
Print Post

Think you can achieve that by editing the Hosts file on your PCs. On Win this can be found at \WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.

Trouble is you will have to do it on every PC from which you want access.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Thu 03-Jan-13 23:05:58
Print Post

or you need to have a DNS server on your local network that can supply the internal IP address for that DNS name lookup when you are on your local network.

Some router OS platforms already provide this (e.g. pfSense, Smoothwall Express, ) otherwise you would need to run a DNS server on a device that is always on and connected.

This approach is called split DNS (or similar).

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on n e w n e t: ADSL2+ / 21CN at 3.5Mbps / 800kbps

Edited by prlzx (Thu 03-Jan-13 23:06:32)

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Mon 07-Jan-13 13:09:21
Print Post

As above, only really two options,

- Add a DNS server to your home network, which would be able to do this for you.

- Add a router that supports DNS loopback.

I belive that Buffalo router can use DD-WRT and Open WRT which support this, but as I've not tried it, you'll want to research this further yourself.
  Print Thread

Jump to