Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nebb
(newbie) Wed 26-Dec-12 16:40:04
Print Post

Mixed OS's home network.

[link to this post]

Hello,
My level of understanding IT is not great, but so far I have managed to get a desktop PC ethernet connected to my router and a laptop PC wirelessly connected to my router and both to access the internet. What I cannot do, is get these PCs to communicate with each other, or the laptop to acces the printer wired to the desktop PC.
The desktop PC is XP(3), the laptop is Windows 8 and the router is Sagem Livebox 2 fr.
Is there any kind soul out there able to tell me how to make these bits of kit talk to each other please.
All the Best
nebb
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Dec-12 17:43:43
Print Post

Re: Mixed OS's home network.

[re: nebb] [link to this post]

Have you turned File & Printer Sharing ON on the network connections of the individual PCs?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 27-Dec-12 02:09:08
Print Post

Having the same username and password on them all can help, otherwise Guest access may be required - otherwise you're a nobody on a PC that hasn't heard of you as a user and doesn't do guest access.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nebb
(newbie) Thu 27-Dec-12 09:05:34
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hello,
Have just checked and sharing is on for both PCs.
Re the username and password, no security is set yet, I am the only user and so have admin status.
Thanks.
All the Best
nebb
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Dec-12 17:23:38
Print Post

You need to set a password on your XP account and use an identical username to the Windows 8 PC (and vice versa) for you to be able to access any files shared within your user account, otherwise the machines will not delegate credentials between themselves to prevent anyone who hasn't set a password from inadvertently giving strangers complete access.

Ensure the system time is correct between both the machines.

Ensure the Windows 8 PC is connected to the "Home" network and also has file sharing and network discovery enabled.

The very first troubleshooting step is to connect to your other PC by typing \\PCNAME into the address bar in Windows explorer, it should successfully open up and show you a list of file and printer shares. If at this point it pops up asking you for a username and password, then the user account names and passwords are not matching.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Thu 27-Dec-12 17:26:08)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Dec-12 12:45:24
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
If at this point it pops up asking you for a username and password, then the user account names and passwords are not matching.
Then it shouldn't matter that they are not matching if you can login at the prompt.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Dec-12 13:31:27
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Incorrect, this login prompt is designed for domain-joined computers and does not behave reliably in a workgroup environment.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User nebb
(newbie) Fri 28-Dec-12 17:29:32
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Hello
Thanks for the observations, I believe I have set a password on the XP account now and the usernames are the same on both PCs.
I am not sure what system time is.
Windows 8 machine is connected to the "home" network and has file sharing and network discovery enabled.
Tried your trouble-shooting step and got "known but unable to connect".
Thanks for your help thus far, but my observation is, how is an ordinary person in the street like me, supposed to figure these things out, is MS primitive or what?
Excuse my frustration, and thanks again
All the Best
nebb
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Dec-12 17:43:20
Print Post

Have you installed Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder on XP?

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Dec-12 19:19:19
Print Post

System time is basically the clock. Make sure the clock on both machines is within 5 minutes of each other.

It should be extremely simple but there's a lots of things that get in the way of it. On Windows 7 and above, you can set a homegroup which would have made things easier, but not to worry as I prefer the conventional way you're trying to do.

I am not familiar with any "known but unable to connect" error message, could you tell what the exact error message was?

Have you actually shared the printer by going into Start > printers and faxes > right click the printer > properties > tick "Share this printer".

Have you run the home network setup wizard on the XP machine?

Is the workgroup name the same on both machines?

In Windows 8, on the desktop, type "network", and go to "Network", this should take you to control panel on the desktop, is the XP machine listed there?

Do you have any 3rd party firewalls on the machines? Disable them temporarily and try again...

Zen 8000 Pro
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to