Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User praet0ri4n
(newbie) Sun 30-Dec-12 14:20:22
Print Post

Edimax router BR-6304 loses internet connection

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I have a strange problem with my Edimax BR-6304, that is behind a DSL modem.

Internet is set up correctly. 1 PC connected to the DSL modem works flawlessly without interruption. I decided to

put the Edimax router behind the DSL to spread the connection in a WLAN. Since that time I encounter outages of

internet connection. This router was working fine a year ago.

To describe it in more detail.
After restarting both devices and connecting the modem with my router, everything works fine. Connections were

made, LAN works fine, devices see each other and every device has internet connection.
After exactly 30 minutes since router startup there comes a message in the system log viewer of the routers GUI:

Dec 29 15:28:21 in.rdiscd[10524]: ioctl (add/delete route): No such process

After that, the Internet connection is lost immediately. However the local area (LAN and WLAN) stays in tact and

all the devices do not report anything. They simply get no internet anymore. The web GUI of the router is still

accessible and router is responding.

Okay, several attempts to google it out failed as this message has no obvious explanation. I googled for rdiscd,

ioctl and how they are used. But all of the suggestions were for linux OS. I have no option to control my router

via telnet, it refuses connections, so controlling "processes" is as good as impossible. My first question is, if

anybody can tell me, what the message above has to mean. I could not find any corresponding router settings.
My second question is these 30 minutes. They are always the same. It is not a random time. But there are no lease

timeouts and other settings, that would explain it. Where does this time come from? Obviously, the ioctl stops

after 30 minutes, or it even does not start at the beginning and some other process is checking for it after half

an hour. Searching for ioctl (add/delete route) gave me a hint to look for "multicasting" settings. But these were

not present.

The only way to restore internet connection is to reset the router every 30 minutes. The same goes on and on. The

only situation in that the error message does not appear is, when I start the router without plugged in WAN

(ethernet) cable from modem.

What i tried so far on that router:
- updated firmware (several versions 1.94 - the latest official, 1.95, 1.99)
- turned wifi on/off
- turned firewall on/off
- several factory resets of the router
- tried all wifi modes (b, g and b+g) and channels (1-11), there is no other wifi around

Router is set up with the Subnet 192.168.2.x and DSL modem works with 192.168.1.x. Modem assigns 192.168.1.2 to the

router. DHCP is on on both devices. These should be the recommended settings.

My third question is, if there is any software to observe the "life" in the router and modem from outside. I am not

very experienced in networking, but I understand the basics, pinging IPs, etc..

Thank you very much!
Filip.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 30-Dec-12 17:03:18
Print Post

Re: Edimax router BR-6304 loses internet connection

[re: praet0ri4n] [link to this post]

The error message might arise from something trying to add a new route to the table and creating an error, perhaps because the table is full. Is uPnP enabled on the router ? if so try without it.

Do you run stuff that generates lots of TCP/IP connections, like P2P apps ? 'netstat' from your command line should show active connections.

If you don't need the Edimax to route, but only to provide wireless, you could configure the setup differently.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User praet0ri4n
(newbie) Sun 30-Dec-12 18:28:23
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Hi,

thank you for your suggestions!
I tried with the UPnP first. I discovered, that it was off. I switched it on and it caused my wifi to drop after a few seconds with the message:

Jan 1 00:04:10 udhcpd[3171]: sending OFFER of 192.168.2.100
Jan 1 00:04:10 udhcpd[3171]: sending ACK to 192.168.2.100
Jan 1 00:04:40 syslog: IGD root device successfully registered.
Jan 1 00:04:42 syslog: Advertisements Sent. Listening for requests ...

My notebook lost wifi immediately. LAN was fine.

The other suggestion with P2P is less probable, because I tried several devices. PC, Notebook and a HTC Smartphone. All of them running barely more than a web browser.

I assume, it could have to do with the DSL modem as well. As I said, that router was working fine a year ago. Now the only change is what is connected before it. It is another DSL modem with its own settings (UPnP, Firewall, DNS, DHCP, IGMP and many more). I assume those were right too, because when connected directly to the modem, it holds the connection forever.
Is it possible, that the DSL modem somehow influences functions of devices behind it? Could it theoretically attempt to "add/delete" another route on the Edimax router via that ioctl process? To me it sounds weird, but not impossible..

I am ready to provide more usefull input to help you helping me smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 30-Dec-12 23:16:45
Print Post

is the modem actually a modem or a 1 port router or....

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User praet0ri4n
(newbie) Mon 31-Dec-12 05:56:36
Print Post

That DSL modem is a regular modem, but with only 1 lan port. So I cant exactly respond to your question.
When entering the web gui, I see typical DSL setup opons and wizards (PPPoE, A, Bridge) and then the user credential options. Now it is running a PPPoE in continuous mode (not "on demand").

I was only curious about its firewall settings because I read somewhere, that connection interruption could have to do with it. But there are no specific options. Now it is in factory state.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 31-Dec-12 06:34:33
Print Post

I know it's not what you want to hear but I would 100% try another router.

These things don't last forever and some of the behavior you have described seems suspicious.

These things aren't expensive nowadays and it's definitely worth a shot. Something like this would be a great upgrade http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170966136789?ssPageName=ST...

but something cheaper http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DIR-615-DE-Wireless-R...

You can even pick them up on ebay cheaper. Worth a shot perhaps.
Or if possible borrow a router to try out.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 31-Dec-12 09:20:41
Print Post

There are few true ADSL ethernet modems - sounds like a 1 port router. If so you don't need the Edimax in router mode, you could switch it to access point mode if it has one or plug the "modem" to a LAN port and turn off the DHCP server in the Edimax.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User praet0ri4n
(newbie) Mon 31-Dec-12 14:51:53
Print Post

Thank you very much for your last post, Phil!
I set it up (dhcp off and modem to lan port) and it works!! It seems I have plenty to learn smile
I wish to all of you Thinkbroadbanders all the best in 2013 smile
  Print Thread

Jump to