Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User naza911
(newbie) Mon 31-Dec-12 19:16:13
Print Post

Router Life expectancy

[link to this post]

So I have been using a DG834GT for some years now, originally from Sky but has been unlocked and was fine with O2, anyway it stopped syncing to O2 Broadband one day, not sure why, but It was an old router hitting nearly 7 years so if the ADSL port has stopped working that is fine.
I plugged in the Supplied O2 and that was able to sync howeve it seems to restart the whole router aroudn 3 to 4 times a day. That router is 4 years old, when I ran O2 the guy said the router is faulty so you need a new router.

This got me thinking though I wouldn't expect something like a router to have lifetime, in essence its a small computer and computer have a fairly long lifetime, you do get blown motherboard etc but generally its PSU problems that you have. So what is the expectancy of a router??

Also an recommendations for a router??? I hate the firmware that O2 have on thiers mainly because the Setup page is soooo slow. Most the equipment that I have is wireless N(Ive been buying new things just not updated my router for a long time) and only ever use one ethernet port ever. I suppose something with good wireless latency would be good. I like netgear products but Im not really loyal to a brand especially if there is somethng better from someone else.

Standard User roughbeast
(learned) Mon 31-Dec-12 20:12:24
Print Post

Re: Router Life expectancy

[re: naza911] [link to this post]

I never had a wireless router die, but having read it up I have come to the conclusion that spending more on a better made and higher spec router is a good idea.

Even though they are solid state they are susceptible to dust, over heating and power surges. You can get round some of this by having surge protection, by blowing dust out with an air line or something like a hair dryer on cold; by not stacking them and by giving them a well-ventilated location. It also helps to update firmware whenever it becomes available.

Another issue can be its capacity. A low spec unit may soon run out of memory for additional port-forwarding, for example, or low WAN to LAN throughput can lead to sluggish performance if you are streaming HD or 3D. Returning to factory settings and starting over can help. Frequent unplugging / plugging of network cables can cause worn parts. Also keeping virus ware updated and working is good for your whole network.

I have had a WNDR3700v1 for 3 years now. Quite expensive, but definitely my best ever network investment.

Try this for router specs. Router comparison charts

Virgin Media: 100mb/10Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.

Edited by roughbeast (Mon 31-Dec-12 20:18:11)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 31-Dec-12 20:20:26
Print Post

Routers, like computers, can fail rather unpredictably, they can last 5 years, 10 years, or perhaps even longer. From a consumer grade broadband router, I would not feel short changed if it packed in after 10 years.. Personally, I think switching them on and off definitely reduces their life.

Also, putting them in warm places like airing cupboards or in draws etc is guaranteed to shorten their life.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Mon 31-Dec-12 20:23:04)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Wed 02-Jan-13 13:31:56
Print Post

My first router was a Zyxel Prestige P662HW, a quite expensive router with all the features I needed when I first got broadband back in 2004, but in 2009 the wired network ports stopped working properly and I ended up replacing it with a free router from my ISP which has now been replaced with a Billion Bipac 7800N.

So perhaps 5 years is a good baseline life expectancy from a pricier router?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 02-Jan-13 13:57:38
Print Post

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by joconnell:
So perhaps 5 years is a good baseline life expectancy from a pricier router?

I have two Solwise SAR-715s in a box. One was bought in 2002, the other in 2004. Both had to be retired in 2012 due to ADSL2+ / 21CN exchange upgrades.

Both still work fine and are very fast for ADSLmax, but sadly, they are not 21CN compatible.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Jan-13 14:49:27
Print Post

Routers shown in my Signature were purchased and left online 24/7 from 10 years ago.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
  Print Thread

Jump to