Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Smudger444
(newbie) Sat 05-Jan-13 07:33:16
Print Post

Which Router monitors Traffic Volume at Ports

[link to this post]

Does anyone know of a gigabit Router that I can manage the Volume of Traffic through any of the output ports 1 to 4??

I have a Satellite BBand feeding a Tooway Modem then to a Tp-Link WR2543 Router and subsequent wireless adapters, shared between two properties, which I have to say is working very well.

Toowaydirect have been very helpful, and Tp-Link too, but have not at present been able to solve my problem.

The problem, I've come up against, Sharing is fine until, via a genuine mistake ,one user uses beyond reason, too much of the monthly allowance.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 05-Jan-13 07:43:28
Print Post

Re: Which Router monitors Traffic Volume at Ports

[re: Smudger444] [link to this post]

The Asus RT-N66U might do what you want, I've got one but don't use the QoS so I wouldn't like to be too definite.

MrSaffron reviewed one recently, the QoS-related bit is here.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 05-Jan-13 11:28:05
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

The TP Link WR2543 router has similar QOS controls: http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/simulator/TL-WR2543... under Bandwidth Control Settings.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Edited by BatBoy (Sat 05-Jan-13 11:29:41)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Smudger444
(newbie) Wed 09-Jan-13 22:59:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thank you both for your help, Ive been in touch with Tp-Link and none of there routers monitor Traffic Volume, only the Bandwidth, which is useful, but wouldn't help me unless it gave me an indication of how much a particular port had used of the 26gb/mth allowance.
Standard User philippercival
(experienced) Thu 10-Jan-13 15:36:44
Print Post

Alternatively, if you have an old computer handy, fit a second network card and install linux.

Connect the first network card to your router and the second to your internal network. A little set up is required but all traffic for the net will then be gong though the linux box. Run gkrellm2. It will give you the daily throughput. it can also act as an additional firewall and many other things.

Standard User Brugie
(learned) Thu 10-Jan-13 15:49:22
Print Post

Hi

I believe this one will do what you want

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2130.html
Standard User jonallport
(newbie) Sun 27-Jan-13 12:16:29
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by philippercival:
Alternatively, if you have an old computer handy, fit a second network card and install linux.

Agreed. Although I would recomend a dedicated firewall distribution (pfSense gets my vote) rather than just 'linux' (I know pfSense is a BSD, not a linux before anyone comments!).
Standard User Smudger444
(newbie) Wed 06-Feb-13 22:46:53
Print Post

[re: jonallport] [link to this post]

Thank you all for your help, this has been a difficult quest to complete, but with your help and advise, I have managed to source a Router From a manufacturer called Draytek.

This is not a manufacturer I had used for any equipment before, so this is all new ground. The model router they came up with is the Vigor 2130n, they have said this Router can tell one how many bytes is traveling through a given port. Via a calculaion this can be converted.

The next problem is how to set this up. Draytek have been very helpful in the past, and have said I only have to call.

It just remains to Thank you all again for your help, this is a lovely forum. I only wish we all had fast btoadband.
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Sat 16-Feb-13 11:07:52
Print Post

Too late for you perhaps, but any of the routers that run Gargoyle allow both QoS and also allow you to set quotas for each "user" (read: IP address). Upon reaching the quota you can configure whether to throttle that user or to cut off access.

It also lets you graph how much each device has used per minute/hour/day/month, allowing you to see how each user has used, for an example of mine from a few days ago:

Few hostnames blanked out, but.. you get the general idea laugh
  Print Thread

Jump to