Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 06-Jan-13 20:31:17
Print Post

Re: Wi-Fi between 2 outdoor buildings

[re: WannabeMKII] [link to this post]

Depends on what the obstacle is ...

Microwave ovens run at 2.45 GHz for a good reason - the frequency that water absorbs best!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User WannabeMKII
(experienced) Sun 06-Jan-13 20:51:25
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Depends on what the obstacle is ...

Microwave ovens run at 2.45 GHz for a good reason - the frequency that water absorbs best!

Ah ha, hence trees being the enemy smile

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 06-Jan-13 21:07:24
Print Post

Can you not use SWA (armoured) Cat5e and run it round the edges? It will be a lot cheaper and easier to do. Even burying it 2" down by the side of the path should be enough and use some extra alkathene pipe at places you are worried about. I have seen someone go straigh down the centre of their near bowling green condition lawn with a sharp spade - cut down six inches, force cable in, some sand/soil/seed in the slit tread it down and within a month there was no trace.

M H C

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 06-Jan-13 21:11:12
Print Post

Some blue sky thinking:

Can you get a cable to the hedge from one end of the other? If so, fit the wireless repeater in the hedge! I know of one location where that has been done (at 5GHz) to feed four or five cottages.

What about a couple of overhead drops - house to trees, and trees to outbuilding? Even a single span can be achieved across 50m - my incoming phone line is almost that.

M H C

(experienced) Sun 06-Jan-13 21:32:08
Print Post

It's an interesting option and one I'll take another look into when returning to the property to carry out further research.

(experienced) Sun 06-Jan-13 21:37:39
Print Post

Some blue sky thinking:

That's what I like!

Can you get a cable to the hedge from one end of the other? If so, fit the wireless repeater in the hedge! I know of one location where that has been done (at 5GHz) to feed four or five cottages.

Hmm, that's another interesting option, especially if PoE is used, so a single cable run.

What about a couple of overhead drops - house to trees, and trees to outbuilding? Even a single span can be achieved across 50m - my incoming phone line is almost that.

This was a thought, as both house and outbuilding is fed from the same overhead power line post. However, running network along power lines isn't a good idea... is it?

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 06-Jan-13 21:43:58
Print Post

Remember this is Ethenet not VDSL so signal levels are higher and noise rejection a lot better. A couple of feet away should be reasonable and if you went for screened Cat5e and properly earthed it there is a good chance it would work.

The only complication is that you are on a power supply pole - if a power cable breaks and drops onto the data cable, you may have a problem but telephony and power on the same poles is acceptable now. There are guidelines for it which you could search for.

M H C

(experienced) Sun 06-Jan-13 21:47:13
Print Post

Well, it's certainly another option to consider when I head back over to the site and review the options...

Thanks for the extra info!

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 07-Jan-13 15:41:38
Print Post

Ubiquiti do bridging kit, that isn't wi-fi (or can be) http://www.4gon.co.uk/ubiquiti-nanostation-m5-mimo-p...

Or fit external high gain antennas to the regular router, the routers are powerful enough it's the antenae and the walls that get in the way.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
(experienced) Mon 07-Jan-13 21:52:45
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
Ubiquiti do bridging kit, that isn't wi-fi (or can be) http://www.4gon.co.uk/ubiquiti-nanostation-m5-mimo-p...

Or fit external high gain antennas to the regular router, the routers are powerful enough it's the antenae and the walls that get in the way.

Thanks for the pointer. Funny, as on my shortlist of two;

Number 1

Number 2

I'm back on site tomorrow, so going to do some measuring and look at the options again, as it was dark last time (damn winter nights).

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to