Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User FNi
(newbie) Tue 22-Jan-13 22:02:00
Print Post

Network using RJ11 cable?

[link to this post]

I trying to solve a tricky problem I hope you guys can help with...

I've recently moved into an old house with very thick walls and iffy electrical cabling. Currently it's almost impossible to get WiFi signal in the back room (AP is located in the front hallway). I've tried moving the AP as close as I can, fiddling with the settings and even those Ethernet-over-powerline plugs. Nothing works, or if it does, it's intermittent at best.

I have one idea left before I resort to running Cat5 across the house into the back room.

Before the previous owners moved out, they ran a new telephone extension cable from the front hallway to the back room. This is just an extension cable, it is not wired to the telephone circuit, and I have easy access to both ends.

Is there any way to use RJ11 as a network cable? It doesn't have to be fast, just enough so I can stick an AP at the other end (10-20Mb is fine) and be relatively stable.

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 22-Jan-13 22:08:03
Print Post

Re: Network using RJ11 cable?

[re: FNi] [link to this post]

Is it twisted pair? You need 2 pairs for ethernet.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Jan-13 22:13:54
Print Post

Ethernet can be run over just two pairs.

The speed you will get is either 10 or 100 Meg, no in-between and what is possible depends on the cable. CAT3 and 5 cables usually have more twists than the standard CW1308 extension wiring.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(experienced) Tue 22-Jan-13 22:21:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If it's twisted pair, you can only try. If the extension cable is untwisted, forget it - it's so far out of specification as to be a waste of time.

An old installation trick to upgrade a cable that runs in duct or trunking without significant bends is to carefully wind the wires of the old and new cables together, sleeve the whole lot in tape and use the old cable as a draw cord to pull the new cable through the duct. You then cut off and throw away the last metre of the new cable when it arrives at the other end, as it's usually pretty mashed.

This can be a life saver, or a disaster if the two cables come apart mid pull. Obviously, it won't work if the cable is stapled or clipped for any part of its run.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 23-Jan-13 08:51:27
Print Post

Is there any way to use RJ11 as a network cable?

HomePNA devices network PCs over phone extension wiring, were used for a while by BT with 2Wire routers having that capability.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Wed 23-Jan-13 10:39:56
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

French chalk as a lubricant can prevent the disaster of the cables coming apart mid pull.

If you are really stuck Johnsons baby powder works a treat
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Jan-13 12:30:18
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Not sure you can get the kits anymore, someone begged the HomePNA device I had some years ago as they could not find any to buy

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to