Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Furnival
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 10:28:16
Print Post

Wireless Cable Router recommendations

[link to this post]

I have a DLink DI-524 router with Virginmedia basic cable modem. I have tried to connect to my network with my Samsung Galaxy Ace phone and have been told (I am basically a technophobe) that it will not work because it needs WEP(?) and the router cannot be set to this.

Can someone recommend a wireless cable router that would be OK with my phone.

Thanks
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Jan-13 10:54:06
Print Post

Re: Wireless Cable Router recommendations

[re: Furnival] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Furnival:
I have a DLink DI-524 router with Virginmedia basic cable modem. I have tried to connect to my network with my Samsung Galaxy Ace phone and have been told (I am basically a technophobe) that it will not work because it needs WEP(?) and the router cannot be set to this.
This is nonsense. WEP is an old encryption protocol that is insecure and should not be used. Both your router and cellphone support WPA which is more secure. Your cellphone supports WPA-2 which is even better. Interactive instructions for configuring the phone here. All modern wi-fi routers support WPA-2. The Asus RT-N66U seems to be everyone's favourite right now, but you may want to stay with the DI-524.

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Mon 28-Jan-13 12:27:28
Print Post

[re: Furnival] [link to this post]

it will not work because it needs WEP(?) and the router cannot be set to this.
As has been said already, WEP is an obsolete encryption standard which is trivially broken. All modern gear supports WPA2, which is the form of encryption you should use for security at speed. Modern wireless gear tends not to allow the highest speeds using the earlier and weaker WPA standard.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Mon 28-Jan-13 19:54:28
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
it will not work because it needs WEP(?) and the router cannot be set to this.
As has been said already, WEP is an obsolete encryption standard which is trivially broken. All modern gear supports WPA2, which is the form of encryption you should use for security at speed. Modern wireless gear tends not to allow the highest speeds using the earlier and weaker WPA standard.

Yes WPA2-AES/CCMP is hardware (or chipset driver) accelerated so will do the top data rates (along with no encryption) whereas WEP and even WPA-TKIP will cap at lower data rates.

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on n e w n e t: ADSL2+ / 21CN at 3.5Mbps / 800kbps
  Print Thread

Jump to