Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ianfuture
(newbie) Thu 31-Jan-13 10:20:26
Print Post

External Power cable crossing incoming BT telephone line?

[link to this post]

There is potentially going to be an external shielded (I hope) power cable from roof solar panels crossing at 90 degrees our incoming telephone line on the external wall. Or possibly crossing on the interanl wall while phone line is on outside wall. Is there any likely hood this will degrade our broadband/telephone service. The phone wire on the outside wall is the BT one from telegraph pole so not much I can do to protect it from interference i dont think .

Any thoughts or commenbts most appreciated smile

Ian
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 31-Jan-13 10:29:31
Print Post

Re: External Power cable crossing incoming BT telephone line

[re: ianfuture] [link to this post]

Assuming it's the cable direct from the panels it will (afaik) be low(ish) voltage DC and not a problem.

There's an outside chance it could act as an aerial to pick up and re-transmit interference from another source, but if it's crossing the phone cable at right angles even that is most unlikely to cause any difficulty.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to