Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User number45
(newbie) Thu 31-Jan-13 21:43:06
Print Post

Router to replace talk talk d-link

[link to this post]

I'm looking for a new router to replace the D-Link DLS 2780 router supplied by talk talk.

I'd like to get a router that is 5GHz as well as 2.4GHz and would like a GB one. Other than that I don't really know what I should be looking for. There will be 3 or 4 devices wired to the router and possibly another half dozen connecting via wireless.

I've been looking at this netgear one as netgear seem to have a good reputation but I've read it drops connection on older adsl lines. Is this a good router or can anyone recommend another.

Or would I be better getting a separate modem and router. Are there any advantages to having them as separate devices.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Jan-13 22:17:56
Print Post

Re: Router to replace talk talk d-link

[re: number45] [link to this post]

The Asus DSL-N55U modem-router and its companion RT-N66U stand-alone router seem to be all the rage right now.

Buying a separate router and modem might be a good idea if you are considering moving to cable, etc, in the future, but they can be a damned fiddle to set up as I know to my cost. You'd think that a Netgear modem and a Netgear wireless router would be drop-dead easy to configure, but Oh! no, "We don't support that combination, Sir." Bah!

On a more practical note, I will never, ever, again buy a piece of kit that is supposed to stand on its end and stay upright. You'd be better off asking this of a drunken Glaswegian. frown

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts

Edited by micksharpe (Thu 31-Jan-13 22:20:55)

Print Thread

Jump to