Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User chrigurndevon
(learned) Sun 03-Feb-13 17:12:34
Print Post

Bandwidth aggregation ADSL and Satellite broadband

[link to this post]

For various reasons I have both a BT ADSL2 connection (approx 5/0.7Mbps) and a Tooway satellite connection (approx 19/5Mbps). Both are "unlimited".

If I were to connect both connections to a dual WAN multi-homing router, such as the Edimax BR-6524k, would I get the low latency benefits of the ADSL2, with the speed benefits of the Tooway - or is this just wishful thinking?

This is more a hypothetical question. At the moment I use the BT connection for web browsing etc, and switch to the Tooway for big file transfers. So just curious about what would happen if I were to aggregate the two links although in reality I'm unllikely to spend out on the hardware.
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-13 18:30:38
Print Post

Re: Bandwidth aggregation ADSL and Satellite broadband

[re: chrigurndevon] [link to this post]

With two separate WAN connections, the best that can be done is policy routing with failover.

You designate your main WAN connection, to which outbound traffic is sent by default. If this connection is down, traffic is sent to the other WAN connection - that's the failover bit. In addition, you can set a series of policies, which are rules that direct certain traffic to particular connections. For example, you could have a policy directing traffic on a certain TCP port used by a game to the ADSL connection for lower latency.

You could use both connections as tunnels to some sort of aggregation service, but you will not be able to take advantage of the different qualities of the two connections that way.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 04-Feb-13 09:20:14
Print Post

[re: chrigurndevon] [link to this post]

true aggregation would be problematic with two paths with massive latency differences, so protocol based routing would make more sense - http on the ADSL and FTP / SMTP / POP3 on the satellite perhaps

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User chrigurndevon
(learned) Mon 04-Feb-13 10:23:58
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies. You've confirmed what I suspected - that mixing adsl and satellite data isn't a good idea. I'll continue to do as I do now, using two separate wireless networks and switching between the two as and when required. Until fibre comes my way wink
  Print Thread

Jump to