Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bernado
(newbie) Thu 21-Mar-13 21:08:01
Print Post

Newb alert, leaving O2 to new provider - router setup tips

[link to this post]

First post here so greetings.
I'm shortly to leave O2 due to the Sky takeoever (probably to Vivaciti LLU O2W) and wondering in advance how tricky I'm going to find it to set up a new router (yet to be purchased). The O2 box came with an idiot proof wizard type setup but I will be pretty much in the dark this time around. If there is anyone who has changed providers can give me a general idea of the technical processes involved, I would be very grateful?

As a bonus question, if anyone has got any recommendations for a robust router (adsl2+), that would be great.

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 21-Mar-13 21:55:13
Print Post

Re: Newb alert, leaving O2 to new provider - router setup ti

[re: bernado] [link to this post]

The router reviews at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews.html usually give a good guide on the manual setup, I tend to avoid the included CD where possible.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Mar-13 21:59:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

i would use a 7800n on O2 LLU as they use TMMB dslam chipsets

you will sync and have a good stable connection

very easy to set up as well

SOTV KRO BCFC smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bernado
(newbie) Thu 21-Mar-13 23:57:26
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

Thanks for those comments.
I'll check out the review page linked. The 7800n looks good though a bit on the pricey side for me. I'll see if there's anything a bit more affordable with that particular chipset mentioned.

Thanks
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Mar-13 02:00:57
Print Post

[re: bernado] [link to this post]

The billion 7800(non wireless) is cheaper, i think the 7700n also has a Broadcom Chipset which matches the line cards that the telefonica LLU kit uses , or theres the DG834G V4 Not the V5 as that has a connecxant chipset, and doesnt work too well with the exchange kit, one of them can be had for around £40-£50 new, or you have some TPlink routers that also have the broadcom chipset , All will out perform the o2 router

Print Thread

Jump to