Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User michty_me
(learned) Fri 22-Mar-13 23:41:45
Print Post

Which wirless router for 02/BE LLU?

[link to this post]

I know this has been covered many times but I'm getting really stuck making a decision so please hold on while I explain some of my requirements.

I'm looking at changing my Be box for a different router as I'll be leaving BE once Sky come into the picture. I'll be switching to another 02/BE LLU reseller though as that is all that is available on my exchange at present.

I'm looking for an up to date modem/router that will future proof me.
In my current home, I am approx 800m from the exchange so pretty much sync at full speed and very stable using the BE box. I am however looking to move later in the year so my line length will more than likely increase.
I have read many people stating to keep with the same chipset that is used in the exchange I believe that is broadcom going by the threads.

So I ideally would like a future proofed modem/router combo with broadcom chipset, Good wifi, Good sync speeds and good stability, Allows SNR tweaking (Broadcom is the only one that allows this, correct?)
I don't ask for much really huh!

Along with my BE box, I also have (Somewhere) a DG834GT from my UKO days. This as far as I am aware, still works and will be using it probably from next week. I would like something more modern though.

So far some have recommended wireless modems from:

Netgear - (Most seem to get average reviews if that)
Linksys - (never used)
Cisco - (Never used)
Billion - (Never used but read several great reviews on their products)
Fritzbox - (Only found out about them last week)
Asus - (Look good but can't find what I'm after with them)

I would like to stay with the wirless and modem in one rather than have a modem and a wireless unit seperatly.
I'm not too bothered about the cost, As long as I knew it was going to be rock solid connection wise and reliable.

The Billion 7800DXL caught my eye but there seems to be a few firmware issues at present.
If I knew the issues with the 7800DXL were going to be ironed out in the future, I'll easily hang fire and use the 834GT until it is sorted or the GT gives up.

What are sync speeds like on the Billion 7800 series routers compared to the BE Box?

What other wirless modems use broadcom chipsets that aren't ageing now?? Not too sure about Netgears as most I have read reviews on show poor wifi or seem to break too easily.
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-Mar-13 15:42:30
Print Post

Re: Which wirless router for 02/BE LLU?

[re: michty_me] [link to this post]

http://www.o2help.co.uk/recommended-routers/
I'm using the DGN2200v3 - a very smart router, that works for you, not against you.

Steve
final week of O2.
Standard User michty_me
(learned) Sun 24-Mar-13 23:39:30
Print Post

Re: Which wirless router for 02/BE LLU?

[re: blfamily] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blfamily:
http://www.o2help.co.uk/recommended-routers/
I'm using the DGN2200v3 - a very smart router, that works for you, not against you.

Thanks for that. I'll look into it and read up on some reviews.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to