Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hitthenumbers
(newbie) Sat 23-Mar-13 11:38:39
Print Post

BrightBox - Can I get priority usage over the kids ? !

[link to this post]

Hi! I'm new to the forum and I'm only semi computer-router literate. We live in a village and get really slow internet (ADSL? 1Mbps?). I've set up our new BrightBox and its working fine, serving my laptop, a printer and a couple of other computers (the kids').
Can I set up the BrightBox so that I get priority when I want to use the internet? .. the kids are always downloading or watching UTube etc and my aceess is then at snails pace !
Simple step-by-step instructions would be really helpful.
Thanks a lot
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Sat 23-Mar-13 11:59:48
Print Post

Re: BrightBox - Can I get priority usage over the kids ? !

[re: hitthenumbers] [link to this post]

I'll leave it to others to give you the detailed instructions.

However, be sure to change the main ADMIN Password giving you the first level access to the Bright Box, appearing on the supplied card in the bottom block, right-hand side to something distinctly different.

Otherwise the kids could access the same parameters and change them to minimise your access!!
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Mar-13 12:46:13
Print Post

You may be able to achieve better broadband speeds - can you post your router stats so that we can check that you have an optimised connection from the router to the exchange.

Throughput (download) speeds can be affected by a wide variety of factors but first we must establish that your connection is sound.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 23-Mar-13 12:51:30
Print Post

It can handle more than one SSID and has some features to restrict banwidth or time of use. There was help on the Orange website but can't get to it now they've "EE'd it"

You could change the standard SSID passphrase to a secret one, give the second SSID and passphrase to the kids and set up the bandwidth accordingly.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Mar-13 14:39:25
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
There was help on the Orange website but can't get to it now they've "EE'd it"
Try here: Limit the bandwidth

When searching for BrightBox topics, use 2 words "Bright Box".

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 23-Mar-13 14:58:11
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Try here: Limit the bandwidth

That's helpful, thanks. The search tool on there sucks !

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Mar-13 16:23:51
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
I'll leave it to others to give you the detailed instructions.

However, be sure to change the main ADMIN Password giving you the first level access to the Bright Box, appearing on the supplied card in the bottom block, right-hand side to something distinctly different.

Otherwise the kids could access the same parameters and change them to minimise your access!!
Good thinking, maybe that's how the kids have the router set-up now to restrict the OP's access. grin

EE Bright Box router user guide... http://help.ee.co.uk/system/selfservice.controller?A...

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 13181 kbps Downstream, 1264 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Sat 23-Mar-13 16:34:41)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Mar-13 17:19:32
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
The search tool on there sucks !
The whole site sucks! frown

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Sun 24-Mar-13 15:32:14
Print Post

Here is the EE Page that describes the general process-

http://help.ee.co.uk/system/selfservice.controller?C...

I worked through that about 4 weeks back, successfully setting up a secondary SSID.

For various reasons, I did not maintain it, including there were some problems accessing some of the local WiFi items I wanted to use - whether this was caused by me or is a fundamental aspect of the design, possibly someone with more knowledge may be able to help further.

==================

Thinking more of your situation, as I posted before, protect the Brightbox immediately by changing the ADMIN Password and possibly the ID Name.

To avoid the kids getting any inkling, I suggest that you leave SSID1 "as-is" apart from putting limits on the Bandwidths.

That way, there is less likelihood of them becoming aware of any changes.

I suggest that its Download Band Width should be not much more than presently achieved in practice.

Set up SSID2 for your own use, giving it a Download Bandwidth nearer to what you think/are advised is achievable on your line, so that effectively your use is prioritised automatically whenever you are using it; and it is "released back" to the kids when you are not using it.

================================

I suspect that my access problems may have been my choice of "VLAN Binding", where I selected "VLAN2" as opposed to "Default"

On inSSIDer, I noted that generally the graph of the two SSIDs were superimposed, although I think on one or two occasions, SSID2 may have been reduced to the Lower/Primary Channel, 7 from 7+11

Again, hopefully someone with greater knowledge may be able to enlarge on those aspects.

======================================

I note that you have not posted the statistics some have requested.

This forum can be extremely helpfull on such matters.

The main statistics come under the ADVANCED group, just as the above additional SSIDs do.

Login as ADMIN (if you have not changed it)

COPY that first page top section, "Internet Settings"; and paste in to this forum, possibly via an intermediate WORD/similar document.

Select at the top, "Advanced Setup"

"Accept"

In the left-hand column, select "System", last item on the list.

On the "SYSTEM" page, select the second-last item iin the left-hand column "ADSL Status"

Again COPY and PASTE ALL of the information on that page/screen, from-

ADSL STATUS
down to
Transmitted Cells.

The main information that is being requested are the four Attenuation figures in the second grouping headed "Defect/Failure Indication", as these reveal a lot about the basic condition of your phone line, including approximate wire/cable distance from your Exchange.

You can be literally "next door" to your Exchange; but the wire may go from the exchange to a distribution cabinet some distance away, 500 metres, 2000 metres etc

And then come back to the local cabinet, and onwards to your house.

Even that last part may be strange.

The local exchange-to-cabinet cable passes by the side of my house, through an obvious, three-panel, underground jointing chamber, and across the road to the cabinet, about 25 yards.

But the connection from the cabinet to my house first goes eastwards to the far end of a near-neighbours house, to a small, inconspicuous Jointing Box at footpath level, before coming back westwards to my house.

That is, a foray of at least 125 yards, to cover a geographic, straight-line distance of 25 yards.

The other data help build up a broader picture.
  Print Thread

Jump to