Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Destro1701
(newbie) Fri 29-Mar-13 10:49:43
Print Post

Router Suggestions for a Noob :)

[link to this post]

Hey there!

After a lot of research on this site and ISPReview I have decided to switch ISPs. I am moving to Xilo after being with AOheLL for 13 years!

I haven't placed my order yet as I am uncertain about the router they offer when going through the online order process. The router in question is a Thomson 587N, which doesn't seem to be very well received in the online community, so what should I go for?

I looked at the reviews of routers and the Asus DSL-N55U looked cool and I use a lot of Asus hardware already so I trust them as a manufacturer, but as I am not in the know about routers, I would appreciate any advice on whats hot and whats not?

I have an ancient Netgear DG834G v3 just now, so I am thinking that will probably need replaced?

Many thanks,

D smile
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 29-Mar-13 11:03:54
Print Post

Re: Router Suggestions for a Noob :)

[re: Destro1701] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Destro1701:
... after being with AOheLL for 13 years!

What did you do to deserve 13 years!

Are you going for an ADSL or VDSL service?

If ADSL you will need more than a router - whichever device you choose will need to have a Modem included which te %*&N does have).

What are your priorities - wireless speed? Wired network speed? Cost? ...

If you are staying with ADSL - your DG834 shoudl continue to work until you decide.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Mar-13 11:07:05
Print Post

I just use a TG585 v7 with my xilo/uno "pro" SMPF (TTB) ADSL2+ connection and it works perfectly, although I do perhaps have the advantage of the exchange chipset being Broadcom (possibly ex-Tiscali LLU) and I don't need "n" wireless".

Perhaps the most important question is: what is your budget?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Destro1701
(newbie) Fri 29-Mar-13 11:42:16
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Thank you both for your quick replies!

I think the 13 year sentence was for my sins in a previous life! In all honesty I was very happy with AOL up until CPW appeared. I should have jumped ship then but I had a good deal for phone and stuff. Now that I do a lot of online gaming/MMO playing I want something faster!

I would like a balance between wired and wireless as we have a tablet and laptop, as well as my PC in the house. In terms of cost I am looking at £120 max, but would maybe consider stretching to more if it was more beneficial. In terms of hardware I have trusted Asus for motherboards, graphics cards etc for 10 years so I wouldn't hesitate to get an Asus router, as long as they are any good! LOL

I must be honest and say I have no idea what I would be signing up for as the Xilo website isn't clear. I would choose one of the Pro packages which are metered. But Xilo doesn't tell you what exactly it is your buying... No idea if it is ADSL 2 or what... I suspect it might be LLU from looking at parts of their site.

This is a link to my local exchange if that helps: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/ESFAU

Thanks again for the quick replies!

D smile
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Mar-13 11:56:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Destro1701:
I must be honest and say I have no idea what I would be signing up for as the Xilo website isn't clear. I would choose one of the Pro packages which are metered. But Xilo doesn't tell you what exactly it is your buying... No idea if it is ADSL 2 or what... I suspect it might be LLU from looking at parts of their site.

This is a link to my local exchange if that helps: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/ESFAU

Your exchange is TalkTalk (CPW) LLU'd so a uno "pro" partial LLU (SMPF) ADSL2+ package will be fine. "Pro" is unmetered after 8pm and at weekends and I believe unlimited "pro" packages will be available soon. Would a 100GB monthly metered usage be enough for your current needs? I think that works out at about £15 inc VAT per month.
Standard User Destro1701
(newbie) Fri 29-Mar-13 12:10:19
Print Post

I think 100GB would be sufficient now that I think about it! LOL 200GB would be overkill!
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Mar-13 12:22:53
Print Post

Have a chat with xilo/uno sales and see what they can do, i.e. check availability, establish the migration/activation fee (which might be £48 inc. VAT.)

BTW who do you currently pay line rental to? Do you know if you are already on a full LLU package with your ISP?

Your current router stats might also be a good indication of the sync speeds that will be achievable with uno "pro" also.
Standard User Destro1701
(newbie) Fri 29-Mar-13 13:07:29
Print Post

Not a clue what it is just now. When I called to cancel they said I could be upgraded to a faster speed. They said I was getting about 1mbps in speed, although when I did speed tests its more like 3mbps. They "promised" me a 3-8mbps speed if I stayed...I wasn't impressed! Kinda felt like they were lying to me!

I would be happy with the kind of speeds I am getting just now, just without throttling/shaping etc. I have to be realistic too considering where I am in relation to the exchange, I'm a fair few miles away unfortunately.

These are the current router stats:

DownStream Connection Speed 3750 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 663 kbps

Cheers,

D smile
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Mar-13 13:21:13
Print Post

Looks like you are already on LLU with an up stream connection speed of 663 Kbps...

I would get a MAC key from the ISP and then we can fully reassess the situation after that smile
Standard User Destro1701
(newbie) Fri 29-Mar-13 13:37:30
Print Post

The letter with the Mac printed on it is right here on my desk laugh
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to