Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User KillerKelvUK
(newbie) Fri 29-Mar-13 22:16:46
Print Post

Bonded ADSL - Wiring 2nd socket and ADSL filtering...

[link to this post]

Hi, recently moved into a house that had 2 BT lines installed so I decided to try the bonded broadband offer from BeThere...now Sky frown All is working fine but I want to try and squeeze a little more out of it so want to introduce filtered face-plates to the sockets.

One socket is a standard BT NTE5 Master Socket, the other is a BT Slave Socket (I think)...see here.

I bought both a new BT NTE5 Master Socket and 2x BT ADSL Filtered Face-Plates. One of the face-plates is already fitted as you can see from the above link. However I've now gotten around to fitting the 2nd master socket and need advise on the wiring.

The current wiring is as follows;
Master Socket (Left Side)
Slave Socket (Right Side)

My aim...
1. Leave the existing NTE5 Master Socket as is with the filtered face-plate fitted. (DONE)
2. Replace the BT Slave Socket with the new NTE5 Master Socket and filtered face-plate I've bought.

Do I simple marry up the existing wire to number setup with the new NTE5 Master Socket to achieve this? I've not touched the slave socket yet so wanted to get some advice before I do.

Thanks all,

K
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Mar-13 00:20:01
Print Post

Re: Bonded ADSL - Wiring 2nd socket and ADSL filtering...

[re: KillerKelvUK] [link to this post]

confused
If you have 2 phone lines you should/must have 2 master sockets, even if they are not both NTE5s.
In reply to a post by KillerKelvUK:
One socket is a standard BT NTE5 Master Socket, the other is a BT Slave Socket (I think)
Do they each ring to a diff phone #? Does the (you think) "slave" socket have a yellow ring capacitor inside, like so: LJU2 Master? If so it's master for the 2nd line; if not it's a slave on the 1st phone line.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(newbie) Sat 30-Mar-13 01:04:27
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks...I have 2 different phone numbers that ring to 2 different phones. I cant see a yellow ring capacitor as per your link, its all just as per the pic in my original post.

The 2 sockets use the wires from a single cable run i.e.

(You can see where the 2 wires have been feed from the right socket to the left socket in the above link)

Green/White - Left side socket - Connection point A
White/Green - Left side socket - Connection point B
Blue/White - Right side socket - Connection point 2
Orange/White - Right side socket - Connection point 3
White/Blue - Right side socket - Connection point 5
White/Orange - Unused
Brown/White - Unused
White/Brown - Unused

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Mar-13 01:13:49
Print Post

I have 2 different phone numbers that ring to 2 different phones.
But do they ring to the 2 diff sockets (with any phone plugged in)?

That is a slave socket and if it rings to a diff #, then the incorrect type of socket has been fitted. It needs to be changed by BT as you are not allowed to mess around with master sockets, as it should be.

EDIT: You are showing the back screwed-to-the-wall bit of the 2nd socket. What does the reverse of the front plate look like? (I had to switch browsers to see your pix properly at length; that place you are storing them at doesn't like my normal IE8 frown)

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sat 30-Mar-13 01:55:45)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 30-Mar-13 09:26:17
Print Post

If they have Be line bonding running from these two sockets means they are two different lines

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 30-Mar-13 09:28:34
Print Post

On right hand socket bluewhite to the a on new master and white blue to b, orange to nothing.

Strictly should be a bt job. If no extension wiring the your changes will probably make no difference

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sat 30-Mar-13 09:56:18
Print Post

Phone Number 1 rings to a phone connected to the Right side socket....
Phone Number 2 rings to a phone connected to the Left side socket...
I have 2 different accounts with BT and pay 2 separate bills.

I have likely then used an incorrect term when I said the left socket was a Slave as I believe you're saying this is in fact another master socket?

The reverse of the front plate on the right side socket looks like this. (Sorry another browser switchout needed smile)
(newbie) Sat 30-Mar-13 10:11:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Okay thanks for the details...

When you say "If no extension wiring...", there are 2 further sockets around the house we don't use. One of these seems to work and we can answer a call from one of our numbers on said socket. The other socket seems to be broken as your can hear "dead air" but no dial tone...few pops and cracks now and then.

Does any of this change the solution? I.e why is the Orange no longer required?

Thanks
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 30-Mar-13 11:50:08
Print Post

I think we can't say from the photos. The mutlicore is an internal cable, so it is connecting elsewhere to the incoming wire. The presence of the orange wire on the right socket suggests it's an extension from a master elsewhere.

The wiring to the one on the left may be ok, if the green/whites just pair up to the incoming line.

You need to locate the incoming wire and find the master associated with the socket on the right.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Mar-13 14:20:42
Print Post

I believe you're saying this is in fact another master socket?
No, your 2nd socket is a slave socket and an unusual one at that, as far as I can see.

You either have another, master, socket somewhere on that line or you need BT to change that slave into a proper master.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to