Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JJ1988
(newbie) Sun 07-Apr-13 14:21:28
Print Post

Compatible Wireless Modem Routers for Post Office Broadband

[link to this post]

Hi I've had the same Netgear Wireless Modem 54mps ADSL Router from the post office since December 2007 and I've brought plenty of wireless modem routers and none seem compatible, I keep going back to the Netgear one. Can anyone help with what is the right one to replace this router? as I'd like a bit more connectivity....I use the ethernet for my Desktop and the wireless function for my XBOX 360...I'd like something with more connectivity and more mps/mbs...I'm not very clever regarding this so I apologize in advance.

Regards. Jason.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 07-Apr-13 14:43:25
Print Post

Re: Compatible Wireless Modem Routers for Post Office Broadb

[re: JJ1988] [link to this post]

there's nothing special about PO broadband providing you know the username and password to put into the connection field - I had to decode my neighbours password from a saved config file.

So any ADSL modem/router will work if configured correctly - what happened when you tried another before ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User JJ1988
(newbie) Sun 07-Apr-13 17:25:23
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

The modem I struggled to get going was a Belkin N Wireless Modem Router with the best speed and performance...every time I try it, it won't work I don't know where I'm going wrong

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JJ1988
(newbie) Sun 07-Apr-13 17:32:37
Print Post

To cap it off I've lost the installation disk.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Apr-13 18:02:51
Print Post

Never use any installation CD for a router. You can easily configure it manually as long as you know your username & pwd.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 07-Apr-13 18:41:21
Print Post

forget the CD - how far do you get ? Can you plug a computer into the Belkin and access its config pages on 192.168.x.1 (where x = 0,1 or 2 usually)

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User JJ1988
(newbie) Mon 08-Apr-13 14:01:02
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

On the Belkin there is 4 pointers in which to connect to the internet...Wired (Tick) Router (Tick) ADSL (Orange Flashing Light) and no Internet access....When you say Password is that the username and password to the post office account?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 08-Apr-13 14:59:33
Print Post

People are talking about the ADSL username and password that the Post Office will have given you.

The ADSL LED flashing, usually means either activity, or there is no ADSL sync. The detail from inside the web interface, e.g. the page that shows how fast the router has connected to the telephone exchange will help.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User JJ1988
(newbie) Mon 08-Apr-13 15:41:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have the username and password to get on to my netgear diagnostics, I also have the username and password for my post office account...I may just hire someone to install a new router for me....I'm seeming completely out of touch.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 08-Apr-13 15:55:39
Print Post

This hardware review
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/33-ne...

is very old, but the netgear web interfaces have stayed pretty similar over the years, and may help guide you through some of the aspects. The setup followed was for a generic BT Wholesale based account, e.g. where I talk about bt_test@startup_domain you would use your postoffice details.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to