Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(regular) Sat 25-May-13 14:09:35
Print Post

Best way to get the router wired signal upstairs?

[link to this post]

I'm looking in to eventually getting BT's Infinity 2 option. But I have some question the network setup.

I use my pc's upstairs and my master socket is downstairs. At the moment I have a phone extention cord that goes upstairs to my router and then ethernet cables to my 3 computers and ps3.

I'm wondering that because the engineer will come out to install the modem/router to the Master socket, how will I get the signal upstairs? I was thinking of using a laptop downstairs for him to set it up to the right speed etc. But when he's gone whats the BT setup like? Is it a modem AND a router or is it combined? I've seen the BT Hub, I'm assuming its a modem/router in one? So if this is the case then I'd ideally prefer to take the phone extention cord out of the equation as I'm most likely losing speed by using it. But what would be my best way to set it up?

I'm not a fan of wireless so does anyone else have ethernet cables going upstairs? or do they use power plugs? or maybe even a ethernet cable going upstairs to a network switch?

Thanks for any advice.

Freeserve -> Pipex -> Be
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 25-May-13 14:21:59
Print Post

Re: Best way to get the router wired signal upstairs?

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

The Modem and Router are separate units. The router is a HH3 or 4.

My personal preference is to get the modem on the line at the earliest physical point - next to the master. It is possible to extend the data side to another part of the house but there is a possibility of introducing additional noise from domestic appliances which can reduce your speeds.

Install a wall mount back box with an RJ45 front plate next to the modem and another upstairs. Use Cat5e to connect from one to the other and a short patch lead from Modem to RJ45 socket and then upstairs from Socket to Router.

Whether you choose to extend te VDSL signal or Ethernet from te modem, you will need to run a cable - so keep the modem at the master and router remote from it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-May-13 14:24:28
Print Post

It is an Openreach modem plus the HomeHub, so two boxes.

Installer can run an extension 30m and put both devices upstairs. Option should be ordered when ordering service.

Better option to get best speed would be Openreach modem at master socket and then Ethernet cable to the Home Hub

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User aks
(committed) Mon 27-May-13 10:41:18
Print Post

My office with main compuer and master BT socket are at the front of the house, but wireless (TG582n) was poor at the back of the houuse - often dropping completely. So I ran Ethernet cables for TV, games console, etc, and will add a switch / wireless accesss point at the back too for portable devices.

As mentioned, you need a face plate with RJ45 sockets at each end and CAT5/6 cable between them. The biggest problem I had was routing the cable, as I wanted out of view, hence I ran it under the upstairs floor and channelled in to the walls (I was having building works done anyway, so ideal time to just do it). I used fixed RJ45 face plates in the office and modules in the living room as these can combine TV aerial, etc. In addition to the sockets and cable, don't forget the punch down tool. I also bought a cheap cable tester just to confirm each wire was connected properly at each end, but this is not that essential as wiring is all colour coded and pretty straight forward.

The end result - iPlayer never fails, accessing NAS content is very fast, so well worth the effort smile .

---
Tony
Standard User tehidyman
(regular) Mon 27-May-13 11:30:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by bowdon:
I'm looking in to eventually getting BT's Infinity 2 option. But I have some question the network setup.

I use my pc's upstairs and my master socket is downstairs. At the moment I have a phone extention cord that goes upstairs to my router and then ethernet cables to my 3 computers and ps3.

I'm wondering that because the engineer will come out to install the modem/router to the Master socket, how will I get the signal upstairs? I was thinking of using a laptop downstairs for him to set it up to the right speed etc. But when he's gone whats the BT setup like? Is it a modem AND a router or is it combined? I've seen the BT Hub, I'm assuming its a modem/router in one? So if this is the case then I'd ideally prefer to take the phone extention cord out of the equation as I'm most likely losing speed by using it. But what would be my best way to set it up?

I'm not a fan of wireless so does anyone else have ethernet cables going upstairs? or do they use power plugs? or maybe even a ethernet cable going upstairs to a network switch?

Thanks for any advice.

I had an unfiltered line (sheathed Cat 5e) connected to the back of a filtered faceplate at the master and running to a filtered faceplate extension near the computer (for ADSL 2+). When the BT engineer came to instal fibre he connected my modem into the ADSL socket on the extension and used the filtered socket for his phone. Connected the router to the modem etc. checked and I was getting 37+Meg v estimate of 38. Then had a cup of tea and left!
Standard User SimonMackay
(member) Mon 30-Sep-13 11:48:12
Print Post

[re: aks] [link to this post]

Hi everyone!

I had fixed a similar situation with a home network and repurposing a router as a switch / access point and connecting one of the LAN sockets to an Ethernet / HomePlug wired backbone does work. Here, you have to make sure that the SSID and security parameters do match on both the main router and the one you are repurposing as an access point. As I have seen for myself, WPS does work in these situations for enrolling client devices as long as both devices are set so that WPS doesn't change when you press that button on the router. An article worth reading relating to this work I had done is at http://homenetworking01.info/2012/05/wps-capable-acc... which explained what had gone on here,

With regards,

Simon Mackay

HomeNetworking01.info - Your quality Web-based resource for home and small-business computing information
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Sep-13 12:53:36
Print Post

[re: tehidyman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tehidyman:
Then had a cup of tea and left!

That saved him some work since you had a "data extension" already installed smile
  Print Thread

Jump to