Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GorillaWheels
(learned) Sat 25-May-13 23:38:44
Print Post

Ring wire removal query.

[link to this post]

Hi, my mate is having trouble with his broadband speed. He has Sky Unlimited but is only getting 0.9 Mbps downspeed & 0.5 Mbps upspeed. I live about 20-30 metres across from his flat and my line prediction for speed with Sky is between 5-11.4 Mbps. So as is obvious his down speed is crud!! With my knowledge of this and that from reading on here for one, I wanted to try a few things. The first being putting his router on to his NTE5 master socket, instead of being on an extension in the living room. So for a good few days it's been on his master socket in his bedroom, laptop connected by a strong wifi signal...no change. So then I thought of the ring wire removal thingy. I've took a photo of his socket to ask/query exactly if I'm right to remove the Orange wire in connector 3 in a possibly vain attempt to improve things. I ask because the web pages I've read say 4 wires, only needs 2 & 5, ok, but his master socket has 6 wires...so is just removing the orange one in 3 the thing to do or not? Or should I do something different, or not bother at all???

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37267119@N03/8833175764/

I personally think the problem here is at Sky's end, BUT tomorrow I won't to go over and try the router in his test socket, see if router stats are improved, then I believe the ring wire removal will help...tell me differently if you disagree.
I didn't want to just take out orange wire from 3 and cock up phone & broadband.

Oh yes also if ring wire removal is the way to go is it just necessary at the master socket, or any others? He has 1 line jack unit wired off from the master through into the living room. Then weirdly from the front of the line jack is a cable to a block terminal which then runs some more cable to the opposite side of the living room, which is where his router was plugged into until I moved it onto the master socket.

So advice very much appreciated please.

Regards,
Dave

Edited by GorillaWheels (Sat 25-May-13 23:51:17)

Standard User haggismn
(learned) Sun 26-May-13 00:20:17
Print Post

Re: Ring wire removal query.

[re: GorillaWheels] [link to this post]

Remove all except wires 2 and 5. Also make sure the micro filter is plugged into the master socket. If there are any extensions attached to the master socket, take them out. If they are absolutely necessary, attach a plug and place into the microfilter in the phone socket. FInally, plug the ADSL RJ11 cable into the ADSL part of the master socket. You should be good to go.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-May-13 00:40:26
Print Post

The stats from the router are also important. With Sky llu can be harder to see if there is room for improvement

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-May-13 01:02:52
Print Post

As MrSaffron says router stats are important - if you can plug the router into the test socket, shown in the lower left of your photo, using a dangle micro filter that would possibly be the best plan initially. Leave the faceplate off for the moment and that should eliminate any issues from the extension wiring. You can connect a phone to the micro filter also if needed.

Is it possible for your mate to have the router near the master NTE5 rather than on an extension in the long term?
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Sun 26-May-13 06:32:56
Print Post

As well as all of the other suggestions, try with different microflters in the Master Socket.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 26-May-13 09:49:37
Print Post

quite a bit of older wiring has all 6 cores. The outer greens are redundant and have no effect.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
(learned) Sun 26-May-13 09:55:21
Print Post

[re: haggismn] [link to this post]

Thanks haggismn,
It might not be clear from my pic, his master socket is an older one, it isn't phone socket + adsl socket, just a phone socket on the front. I get what your saying though. Your saying like 4M2, I can connect a phone on a dangle microfilter from the test socket to cut out any issues on the cabling in the flat.
So just leave wires 2 + 5? I had read that but was reluctant as he has 6 wires and says there are normally 4?? kitz page shows this.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/images/phone/ringwire2.jpg

Are the extra 2 wires the extension line jack unit in the living room?
(learned) Sun 26-May-13 10:02:53
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks yarwell,

That answers the question I just asked. So definitely ok just leaving 2 + 5 wires connected?
(learned) Sun 26-May-13 10:05:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MrSaffron,

I'll get some stats first, then get some when the router is on the test socket to compare.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 26-May-13 10:07:35
Print Post

Only 2 and 5 are required for broadband and speech. That's the twisted pair that goes to the exchange.

Many phones pick up the ring signal from 2 & 5

Some phones (even some new ones) rely on 3 for the ring signal.

Most microfilters regenerate the ring signal on 3 via a capacitor..

So if you only have 2 & 5 throughout the only downside might be the occasional phone that doesn't ring, which can usually be resolved by feeding it through a microfilter.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to