Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ConorMK
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-May-13 15:08:20
Print Post

Sky over ethernet and powerlines

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm looking to get Sky into our bedroom but dont want to pay the extra £10 a month for multiroom.

I was wondering if anyone knew what I would need to be able to send the sky HDMI signal over ethernet then via powerline adaptors? I have 2 Powerline adapters already and they work for the built in iPlayer on our smart TV upstairs but would like to be able to view what is on our HD box downstairs.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Conor

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
BQM
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 26-May-13 15:23:12
Print Post

Re: Sky over ethernet and powerlines

[re: ConorMK] [link to this post]

It won't work, because you have to convert the HDMI to IP to use those. You could do that with a Slingbox and a Slingcatcher but that would be expensive

You're going to have to pay the multiroom tax, I think.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Sun 26-May-13 15:26:38)

Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-May-13 16:00:05
Print Post

If you can install a Cat5 cable you can get HDMI converters that will connect to that...ignore the Ethernet part.

wink Comms is hard wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 26-May-13 17:06:00
Print Post

You could use a wireless video sender, but this one's not HD http://www.maplin.co.uk/mini-5.8ghz-video-sender-264419

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-May-13 10:23:23
Print Post

HDMI is very high bandwidth. Running it over powerline adaptors may be tricky.

You could get something like this and run in a cat5 cable. But that will only go 20 meters if the signal is 1080p. For longer distances you will need cat6, which is a pig to work with, and very sensitive to sharp bends.

If you can run a dedicated cable, you might consider fibre (which can carry a higher bandwidth than copper, and with modern fibre is less sensitive to sharp bends than Cat6) with something like this but obviously the price is higher, and the cable will cost more (the cable will be cheap enough, but getting it terminated will not be)

happily chugging along on plusnet and Virginmedia (yes I am greedy)
My web server
  Print Thread

Jump to