Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User giggsy1977
(learned) Sun 26-May-13 20:28:20
Print Post

Homeplug or long Ethernet cable?

[link to this post]

Good evening everyone. Hope you are enjoying the bank holiday! I have BT Infinity 2 with a download of 46Mbps. I am considering Devolo Homeplugs to connect up my blu-ray player and digibox. I could also get a long Ethernet cable through my loft over the living room and drop it down in the corner. I have a 20m Cat 5 cable and get about 20Mbps through that (was surprised at the drop off to be honest. My house is 40 years old (detached bungalow) so I don't know what sort of speeds I would expect. Would I be best getting a 30m Cat 6 cable or trying the Homeplugs do you think? Thanks.

Predicted speed 54.7Mbps down/15.7Mbps up. Actual speed 50Mbps down/6.5Mbps up...crazy
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 26-May-13 20:33:59
Print Post

Re: Homeplug or long Ethernet cable?

[re: giggsy1977] [link to this post]

20Mbps on a 20metre Cat5e cable suggests something is wrong at one end or teh other. That cable should be capable of handling Gigabit connections.

I would suggest installing a pair of RJ45 sockets next to the router and another at te remote location and use Cat5e cable to connect them both. Then a set of short patch leads at each end.

If you can get the cable in easily it will be cheaper and more efficient than plugs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User giggsy1977
(learned) Sun 26-May-13 20:44:43
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

MHC - thanks for the speedy response. I shall have to check again re: the speed over Cat 5. Do you know the longest length of Cat 5/6 I could use? I'm connected to one if the 100Mbps ports on the Home Hub 3. One advantage of the Home plugs is that I could extend the wireless range into the living room.

Predicted speed 54.7Mbps down/15.7Mbps up. Actual speed 50Mbps down/6.5Mbps up...crazy

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 26-May-13 20:53:39
Print Post

100 metres is the specification. I have managed almost 400m on one connection - so your distances are well within.

Why not install four RJ45 sockets in one faceplate and then run cables to where to want? Install another socket at each location.

Each cable will run a full 100Mbps whereas with plugs then rarely reach full potential and any bandwidth is shared.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User giggsy1977
(learned) Sun 26-May-13 20:56:59
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks MHC. I didn't know you could get faceplates. Does one Ethernet cable power all three sockets?

Predicted speed 54.7Mbps down/15.7Mbps up. Actual speed 46Mbps down/6.5Mbps up...crazy
Standard User majika2007
(regular) Sun 26-May-13 21:08:04
Print Post

Hi giggsy1977,
I am also in the process of setting up a home "wired" network.
You may find some really helpful ideas/tips on my thread Advise for future proof home wired network
But it seems your in good hands already as MHC is already on the case smile

Standard User giggsy1977
(regular) Sun 26-May-13 21:19:07
Print Post

[re: majika2007] [link to this post]

majika2007 - thanks for that. I shall certainly have a look at your thread. I'm a bit of a novice in respect of networks but I'm sure I will get something from it!

Predicted speed 54.7Mbps down/15.7Mbps up. Actual speed 46Mbps down/6.5Mbps up...crazy
Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-May-13 21:43:05
Print Post

Check for a duplex mismatch - does your NIC think it's connected at full or half duplex?

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User giggsy1977
(regular) Sun 26-May-13 21:45:18
Print Post

[re: JonRennie] [link to this post]

JonRennie - sorry but you've lost me with both the NIC and duplex thing there!! Still a bit green I'm afraid.

Standard User giggsy1977
(regular) Sun 26-May-13 23:17:56
Print Post

Right, I have been doing my research tonight and I see some Cat 5e cables described as UTP and some as just Cat 5e. In addition some are referred to as patch cables and some aren't. What are the differences between them all?!

BT Infinity 2 - Predicted speed 54.7Mbps down/15.7Mbps up. Actual speed 46Mbps down/6.5Mbps up...crazy
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to