Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User larkrise
(newbie) Thu 13-Jun-13 16:03:20
Print Post

New EE router, no vpn

[link to this post]

I have installed the new ee Brightbox router, replacing the old Livebox; it works fine except that now I cannot access shared resources via vpn. I can connect to the vpn no problem, but get no internet access, and no access to resources. An earlier post recommended altering the Firewall settings but I tried this to no avail. Also my issue is the same whether wireless or cable to the router. I have taken my laptop to a neighbour with a BT supplied Netgear router and all works fine. Any clues? EE tech support are not interested.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Jun-13 16:50:03
Print Post

Re: New EE router, no vpn

[re: larkrise] [link to this post]

Is the IP range of the LAN side of the brightbox the same as the IP range at the other end of the VPN that can create the issue you are referring to

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User larkrise
(newbie) Thu 13-Jun-13 17:07:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well now (and thanks so much for taking an interest in my issue) I have to confess to being a mostly complete idiot about these things. The local ip addresses are all 192.168.1.x as I guess you would expect; the vpn server obviously has an outward facing ip...so what do I need to find out to answer your question?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Jun-13 17:36:58
Print Post

[re: larkrise] [link to this post]

When the VPN has connected, what extra IP addresses are given to the computer.

In short ipconfig /all should show both your local and remote VPN IP setup if you run the command in bold from a DOS command prompt.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Jun-13 18:16:42
Print Post

Okay we confirmed its not an IP issue via email, so next trick was google

Which suggests you are not alone
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/4097278-new...

Along with lots of others, and the common theme that EE/Orange see it as not their problem. Some routers and their NAT implementation can cause VPN issues, but most have settings to help with this, not having had a Brightbox to play with cannot say if there are any settings to fiddle with.

Standard User larkrise
(newbie) Thu 13-Jun-13 22:23:40
Print Post

Yes, the others had the same issue. I have swapped back to the old Livebox, and all connecting fine. I am insufficiently knowledgeable to know if the Brightbox router settings can be tweaked- it appears to be an EE product- can't see a recognised manufacturer badged on it. I am wondering about swapping to BT- both my neigbours have their service and the routers are fine for vpn. But it would be good to know what it is about a router that creates this vpn issue- how can it be recognised. You mention the NAT implementation.
  Print Thread

Jump to