Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Invi24
(newbie) Sat 22-Jun-13 18:35:26
Print Post

Two Internet Lines in the same House (wiring)

[link to this post]

Hello to everyone,

I would like to ask about having two seperate internet lines in the same house.
I am the owner of the first line and recently a housemate put a new line in the house. We still wait to be sctivated.

Now my question is, because I am using the existing master socket ( which I made an cable extention to my room ). Where he must connect the new line?

We need to run a new cable in the house, or from the BT wire he can be connected?
In the BT wire there are 4 pairs of wires. ( Green,White Green / Blue,White Blue / Orange,White Orange / Brown,White Brown ).

I am using only the Green,White Green because before it was connected on the Master socket in 2 and 5.
I made the extention and I put the new Master socket in my room (removing totaly the old Master socket) running the cables in A and B.

The other pairs are for different lines? When the second internet line will be activated we can try to connect it to the other pairs or we need a technician from BT to run a new totally cable in the house?
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Sat 22-Jun-13 19:25:39
Print Post

Re: Two Internet Lines in the same House (wiring)

[re: Invi24] [link to this post]

You will need an Openreach engineer to install another master socket for the new line and they will utilise the spare pair on the lead in.

Edited by Ribble (Sat 22-Jun-13 19:26:26)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Jun-13 19:28:42
Print Post

A 2nd line will have its own master socket, fitted when BT OR install the new line. It will usually be fed by a 2nd pair that is already present in the BT dropwire to the house. If not, BT OR will add another pair.

You say "a housemate put a new line in the house". Has he alrady done that or has he just ordered it? Cuz the rest of your post reads as if you are preparing for it and somehow expecting yourselves to do the wiring.

I have a feeling English is not your 1st language.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Invi24
(newbie) Sat 22-Jun-13 19:44:50
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

He ordered the line and it will be activated by 5 of July. The BT cabble have 3 more spare pairs of cables which are not connected anywhere. So the engineer will connect a new BT master socket from these cables? What about costing? Is it free?
Standard User Invi24
(newbie) Sat 22-Jun-13 19:47:25
Print Post

And yes my english is not the mother language, I am Greek.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 22-Jun-13 19:47:28
Print Post

it's part of the provision of a new line - they'll do what is necessary to provide a socket on the end that responds to the new number. You don't have to do anything or pay for the socket.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Jun-13 19:50:04
Print Post

The BT OR eng will decide on and take care of all the wiring of the new line. That's what you are paying for.
In reply to a post by Invi24:
What about costing? Is it free?
Didn't you agree a price when you placed your order?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Jun-13 20:01:25
Print Post

Are the 2 lines in separate names?

So far you have only talked about phone lines, but your title says "Internet Lines". You do know that in this country phone & BB are 2 separate services and you need a phone line in order to get BB, although they are often packaged together.

Who is housemate getting his BB from?

Who are you getting your BB from?

Standard User Invi24
(newbie) Sat 22-Jun-13 20:18:25
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I have my line ( internet + tv + phone ) and on the house my flatnate ordered a new line ( internet + phone ). Sorry for the miss understanding between phone and internet lines, in Greece we don't seperate it. The line have internet and phone.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Jun-13 20:36:35
Print Post

Yes, but which ISPs have you get the 2 lines with?

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sat 22-Jun-13 20:36:56)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to