Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rook55
(newbie) Tue 16-Jul-13 09:47:06
Print Post

Extending broadband to outbuilding-help appreciated

[link to this post]

Hi

I am hoping someone will take pity on me & help me out as I do not really know what I need or if is even possible.

I would like some more information/help, or to be pointed in the right direction of help to do the following:
I would like to extend the broadband from within the house to an office in an outbuilding. I know this can be done, in fact it already is but not in a reliable way. Currently the broadband comes up into the office wireless by using an edimax extender( or repeater, I'm not really sure what it is, sorry). But the connection is never guaranteed, constantly drops out and on the whole is useless.

What I would like to do is use cable (cat5 cable from what I have already read) from the router (I assume it gets plugged in just as the Ethernet cable would?) in the house, which would then go through some underground pipework (route pre planned when the outbuilding was converted) and up to the office - a distance of 50-60m approx. Assuming I am OK so far ( please tell me if I am not), what equipment do I need in the office to attach the cat5 cable to? Ideally, or rather necessarily, the broadband in the office needs to then become wireless so that 2+ laptops plus occasional tablet/phone can use the WiFi. Is this possible? Cost is not a major issue - well, obviously best value for money is always the best bit it is more important to get a decent and reliable connection than it is to do it cheaply if that makes sense.

If there is anything else you need to know please let me know. There is power in the office (but different system to the house).

Sorry if I sound dumb, but I have found some info online which always starts out promising but then goes very technical on me! If anyone has some time to help me I appreciate it very much, or alternatively please point me in the right direction so I can find answers for myself.

Thanks,

Rook
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 16-Jul-13 10:11:47
Print Post

Re: Extending broadband to outbuilding-help appreciated

[re: rook55] [link to this post]

A Cat5 or 6 ethernet cable from your broadband router to the office would connect to a wireless access point AP in the office.

"Good practice" is probably to use solid core cable and put a wall socket on each end, then use a patch cable (ethernet cable like you plug a pc in with) to connect a router port to that in the house and another to plug the AP in at the office end.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?... - Access point
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?... - cable
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DOUBLE-TWIN-Faceplate-Module... - wall socket

(for illustration only)

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 16-Jul-13 10:14:52
Print Post

Fairly easy.

You need to use outdoor/external Cat5e or Cat6e.

Ethernet will run a distance of 90M plus 5m tail at each end - in practice it can go further however you need to take care. Cable comes in a variety of gauges 28, 26, 24, 23, 22 with a higher number being thinner. Your distance is 60m to which you will need to add some at each end inside the buildings so you could be approaching 80 or 90 metres by the time it is routed. So select a 24 or 23 AWG cable.

There are two types of cable. PE insulated which gives the water and sunlight protection and the SWA which provides additional armouring. If you are running in a duct (underground pipe) then PE should be sufficient.

The supplier I use: http://www.fscables.com/Data/Structured+Wiring+Cable... and I would probably choose C5ED unless I knew I needed screened or wanted to move to Cat6e. Cat5e is capable of handling Gbit (1000Mbit) speeds and Cat6e 10Gbit.

At the house end, close to the current modem or switch: Install a standard Electrical backbox with a faceplate mounted RJ45 socket. Terminate the Cat5e into the IDCs on the socket and then use a short patch lead to your existing hub/router.

Install a similar RJ45 in the office.

The first check will be to connect a PC directly to that connection and all should work fine.

Then find a suitable switch and WAP - connect the switch to the socket and you then have 4 or 8 ports available. Connect the WAP to the switch and you have your wireless connection. The switch will multiplex all of your connections onto the single cable - and connect back to the main hub (assuming the hub is capable), at Gbit speeds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Tue 16-Jul-13 11:01:22)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 16-Jul-13 10:16:53
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?... - cable

(for illustration only)

I would not recommend that cable for outdoor use - even in a duct.

M H C

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 16-Jul-13 10:42:37
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
The supplier I use: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2840/9292956886_cec1c2...

Am I missing the clue? You get your networking kit via WW2 fighter plane? tongue

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

I've forgotten more about broadband than I care to remember.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 16-Jul-13 11:02:28
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

That's it! No idea how I managed to get a 12 hour old link from the clipboard though!

M H C

Standard User rook55
(newbie) Tue 16-Jul-13 11:05:49
Print Post

Thanks Yarwell & MHC, I will give it some thought and work out what I need. Your advice is much appreciated.

One thing MHC, you appeared to link to your supplier but when. I clicked the link I got a picture of a plane. A link to your supplier would be great so I could contact them and make sure I get all that is needed.

Thanks again

Rook
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Jul-13 11:06:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
That's it! No idea how I managed to get a 12 hour old link from the clipboard though!

The original was much better! wink

Regards,
John
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 16-Jul-13 11:09:02
Print Post

I have edited the link!

It should go to:

http://www.fscables.com/Data/Structured+Wiring+Cable...

FS cables will sell you 60, 80, 100 metres of external cable at sensible prices!

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 16-Jul-13 11:10:19
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

Properly armed a Spitfire could use it's guns to create 100Mbps - by disintegrating Fokkers!

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to